Should I pre-salt my Flannery hanger steaks?

If at all possible, I like to salt my Flannery steaks like ribeye, NY strips, etc. 24 hours in advance and leave them on a wire rack in the fridge. I’m grilling some hanger steaks on Friday and am wondering if I should do the same for them. Is that method only good for thicker cuts like those above, or should I also do it for these hangers? TIA

I don’t know why you wouldn’t. In general, I either salt them at least 3 hours in advance or I wait until I’m cooking.

I always do with hangers, they tend to have more residual moisture and pre-salting for at least a few hours really helps with the sear.

This, for every steak

Yes, I always try and salt the day before regardless of cut.

Definitely. They usually aren’t dry aged so get all that moisture

Thanks, All. I’ll salt them tonight!

Charlie - are Flannery’s not aged? I didn’t look closely, but I assumed they were.

The hanger isn’t unless specified

Salt went on last night!
flannery hangers 12.13.19.jpg

Just be careful not to over-salt/season. Thinner cuts like flank, skirt and potentially hanger (depending on the cut) are easily over-salted and can come out tasting like jerky if you’re not careful. Voice of experience here.

Good call, Andrew: that’s exactly what I was concerned about and prompted to post this question up in the OP. They turned out great…grilled in the rain because, in my opinion, the hangers almost demand grilling. I’ve had some fine past-seared (cast iron) Flannery steaks that rival the grill, but these hangers just (to me) really benefit from that grilled flavor.
thumbnail_20191214_115956.jpg

Nice work Brandon. What’d ya drink with 'em?

Yep, I was guilty of that as well

We did a fun side-by-side of two 2011s from Washington: 2011 DeLille D2 and 2011 Saviah Cab WWV. The Saviah was better with the food due to its lighter body, but the DeLille was a more overall enjoyable wine with its exuberant fruit. Frankly, I was surprised at the DeLille because it didn’t strike me as a wine from that cold vintage.

They experimented with some dry-aged hangers a couple years ago…didn’t turn out all that much better than the ‘standard’ ones

Thanks, Todd. I can see that. These already have such strong beefy flavor already.