Lasagna recipes

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Lasagna recipes

#1 Post by Robert M yers » December 15th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Millions of variations and it something that I’ve never made! I’m Thinking about doing one vegetarian and one meat this coming weekend. Does anybody have a go to recipe source or tips they can share. Thanks!

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Lasagna recipes

#2 Post by Henry Kiichli » December 16th, 2019, 5:52 am

One thing - I always used to think of this with a ricotta layer. My wife does a parmigiano bechamel. Also very good in a salmon lasagna.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Dennis Atick

#3 Post by Dennis Atick » December 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Kenji's 'No-holds-barred' Lasagna Bolognese has become my go-to since I started making it a few years ago.
Time consuming, but worth it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... cotta.html

Actually just made it Saturday night!
Attachments
4917D38B-1CBF-4101-8F30-24E7E9DAEEA7_1_201_a.jpeg
@decaturwinedude

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by AlexS » December 16th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm
Kenji's 'No-holds-barred' Lasagna Bolognese has become my go-to since I started making it a few years ago.

Actually just made it Saturday night!
This.

Made it 3 weeks ago with leftover bolognese and it was AWESOME.
s t e w @ r t

Joe W i n o g r a d

#5 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » December 16th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Here is one for a white lasagna.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cel ... om-lasagna

We have made this many times and dig it much

We leave out the prosciutto (vegetarian style) and use tinkyada gf noodles, not to make it gf but because they have a wonderful silky texture like a rice noodle.

Pairs great with nebbiolo, gamay or pinot

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Randy Bowman » December 16th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Carrie makes a Lasagna using polenta instead of noodles.

The day before she makes it, she cooks corn meal into polenta, adding roasted garlic and Italian herbs. It's then placed into a 13 by 9 inch pan to set over night.

The next day she flips the polenta out of the pan and slices it about the width of a regular lasagna noodle. In another 13 by 9 pan she puts a layer of the sauce, (meat, veg, what ever you like). On top she puts a layer of the polenta, followed by a layer roasted garlic gloves, another layer of sauce, then a layer of regular Mozzarella with some smoked Mozzarella mixed in. Repeat starting with polenta until pan full or you run out of stuff to cram into it and top with sauce. The sauce layer should be a little thick because the polenta will steal some liquid. Occasionally, Carrie adds a layer of vegetables like zucchini but your favorite veggies will work.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

John Ammons

#7 Post by John Ammons » December 17th, 2019, 11:54 am

Dennis Atick wrote:

Dennis, that recipe looks insane. I think I'm going to have to give it a go. Thanks.

Dennis Atick

#8 Post by Dennis Atick » December 17th, 2019, 12:36 pm

John Ammons wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 11:54 am
Dennis Atick wrote:

Dennis, that recipe looks insane. I think I'm going to have to give it a go. Thanks.
So good.Finished the pan off last night. Get it nice and crispy on top. A little broiler action at the end doesn't hurt.
@decaturwinedude

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by C. Mc Cart » December 17th, 2019, 12:51 pm

I know this is slightly blasphemous and a little off topic, but unless it is a variant on basic lasagna (ex: seafood or veg only), we just tend to buy them pre-made.
I can buy really good basic lasagna's way cheaper than we could make it and save all that time.
This may be the ONLY item of food (other than bread/ pastry and some types of cake) that I would say that about. Charcuterie as well, but I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole to begin with.

Dennis, your instagram of the Kenji lasagna looked really good.
Chris

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by AlexS » December 17th, 2019, 2:15 pm

John Ammons wrote:
Dennis Atick wrote:

I recommend doing the bolognese ahead of time. Just trust me on that.
s t e w @ r t

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by AlexS » December 17th, 2019, 2:18 pm

C. Mc Cart wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:51 pm
I know this is slightly blasphemous and a little off topic, but unless it is a variant on basic lasagna (ex: seafood or veg only), we just tend to buy them pre-made.
I can buy really good basic lasagna's way cheaper than we could make it and save all that time.
This may be the ONLY item of food (other than bread/ pastry and some types of cake) that I would say that about. Charcuterie as well, but I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole to begin with.

Dennis, your instagram of the Kenji lasagna looked really good.
I used to feel the same way but the fresh herb ricotta and homemade béchamel cheese sauce really changed my mind, same with using fresh pasta sheets.
s t e w @ r t

Dennis Atick

#12 Post by Dennis Atick » December 18th, 2019, 11:38 am

Thanks, Chris.
Alex- You are correct about the bolognese ahead of time. I usually do that when I have planned far enough in advance. It also makes the day-of prep a bit easier as there are multiple things to juggle with this recipe.
@decaturwinedude

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Robert M yers » December 20th, 2019, 5:20 am

Thanks for the thoughts here. When I showed my wife the Kenji recipe she reminded me that she made it a couple of years ago pileon . I’m going to give it go this weekend anyways!

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by RichardFlack » December 20th, 2019, 6:44 am

Will have to try this, perhaps without ricotta as I’m not particularly a fan.

For me the key is nutmeggy bechamel sauce as a foil to the ragu.

One of the best frozen lasagnas was (is) Marks and Sparks which had a good glug of red wine in the ragu (another heresy!) - which is something I now usually do in Lasagna or Spag Bol - I can do this as I’m not Italian. Sadly M&S left Canada years ago.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Robert M yers » December 20th, 2019, 9:13 pm

We actually have Kenji’s book And interestingly he doesn’t use ricotta in that version of the recipe. Instead He adds mozzarella to the béchamel. I think I might do both, because why not.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by AlexS » December 21st, 2019, 7:19 am

Also worth noting is the quality difference between average and great ricotta can be significant, especially in terms of texture.
s t e w @ r t

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Anton D » December 21st, 2019, 2:21 pm

I make it differently every time. You can wing it!

My only rules:

Beware insufficient moisture/sauce.

Top layer is cheese.

This rule may sound odd: each “ingredient,” the sauce, meat, vegetables, etc. that I prepare for the lasagna must taste good to me on their own. I always get a good final melange of flavor that way.

Last rule: must drink wine that you envision pairing the dish with while preparing the dish.

All the rest is the Tao of lasagna!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

John Ammons

#18 Post by John Ammons » January 21st, 2020, 9:11 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:36 pm
John Ammons wrote:
Dennis Atick wrote:

So good.Finished the pan off last night. Get it nice and crispy on top. A little broiler action at the end doesn't hurt.
I cooked this bad boy over the weekend. It really was all that. Thanks again for the push! And yes, I made the bolognese the day before.

I think my biggest takeaway was the methods for the two respective cheese mixtures which aren't that difficult and could be put into play without making a 4+ hour sauce.

Dennis Atick

#19 Post by Dennis Atick » January 21st, 2020, 9:20 am

John Ammons wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 9:11 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:36 pm
John Ammons wrote:

I cooked this bad boy over the weekend. It really was all that. Thanks again for the push! And yes, I made the bolognese the day before.

I think my biggest takeaway was the methods for the two respective cheese mixtures which aren't that difficult and could be put into play without making a 4+ hour sauce.
[cheers.gif]
I need to try making the sauce the day before. Though, I got an Instant Pot from the kids for xmas and recently made Kenji's all-day bolognese in 40 minutes and it was pretty damn good...
@decaturwinedude

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”