Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

Just here to tell everyone two things:
Serious Eats Egg yolk ravioli recipe is delicious. I made a couple minor tweaks… grated a little truffle into the ricotta mixture, shaved a little on top, gave it a finishing salt crunch… but good step by step recipe.

also, D’Artagnan is a great source for ingredients. The wine world could take a cue from them on packaging. My latest shipment came in a regular cardboard box, but with a packing slip that describes the shipping materials: the box is recyclable (obviously), but the “styro” is biodegradable (they suggest using it as kindling for the grill or fire pit), and the plastic its wrapped in is made from corn and dissolves in water. AND it kept everything cold well. super impressed.

If you store eggs with truffles in an airtight container overnight, the egg whites will absorb the truffle aroma. After you use the yolks for the ravioli, you’ll have delicious whites for a scramble.

Wow!

Gonna do it!

Thanks!!!

I’ve made uova di raviolo many times over the years and it’s always a delicious show-stopping dish. Her directions are quite good. I’d add that gently pressing out the air bubbles are key.

I usually cut my dough into squares, pipe the filling and place the yolk, then brush water around the filling, top with another square, gently press out any air bubbles and seal, then stamp out the circle with a big circle cutter. It’s easier than trying to match up the edges of the circles and neater - even prettier if you have a cutter with fluted edges.

If I have truffles, I do as Matt does and shave it on top. In that case, I mix mushroom duxelles into the ricotta filling for that extra oomph as I’m not as generous as Matt and I want the truffle to go as far as possible [snort.gif] . In the Spring, I like adding sautéed ramps or garlic chives to the filling. Caramelized onions work well too.

This is the only way to go. Rice is meh and sucks out the moisture.

Yum, this dish at the Valentino white truffle dinner, with massive shavings of fresh white truffles, was one of the top ten dishes in my lifetime.

I love the idea of ramps in the filling. that’s probably very tasty. duxelles would be nice when truffles are unavailable as well

this is also a really clever idea. I made truffle butter with any of the little bit of truffle I had left over this time around but I’ll have to try that next go around!