Grass fed???

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grass fed???

#51 Post by Ron Slye » January 17th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Sounds delicious Sarah - thanks for the update. How did you cook them?

Sarah Kirschbaum

#52 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 18th, 2020, 5:13 am

Ron Slye wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 7:18 pm
Sounds delicious Sarah - thanks for the update. How did you cook them?
Very simple - salted early in the day and left uncovered, then seared in a super hot cast iron skillet on the stove top with a little butter at the end, after removing the pan from heat, and a solid rest time. Taking them only to rare, I didn't think reserve sear was necessary, and we didn't feel like starting the wood burner. Neither of us can stand the texture of sous vide steak. Even given some variation in thickness, they turned out just right for me, no grey rim to speak of. Crust could have been a little better. They were so lean, I probably should have use a little bacon or duck fat in the pan throughout.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#53 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 18th, 2020, 9:01 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 12:41 pm
Kind of splitting hairs to discuss the ‘health benefits’ of eating beef!
Don't be so quick. If you eat grass fed, nose-to-tail, cow will give you nearly all the nutrients you need. Throw in some eggs and some salmon roe, and you're golden! Or nearly so. I'm not suggesting that you should, but there are people who argue for it pretty convincingly.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on January 18th, 2020, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Russell Faulkner » January 18th, 2020, 11:50 am

Count me not slightly convinced!

Steve Manzi DBA
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Steve Manzi DBA » January 18th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Keep eating corn fed beef. Should help the ole ticker. champagne.gif neener

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Ron Slye » January 19th, 2020, 10:38 pm

We had a skirt steak and a NY strip from Aldersprings. The skirt was fantastic. Lovely flavor and texture. Simply done on the grill. All that one could want in a skirt steak. The strip I unfortunately over cooked -- I think I kept it too long in the oven for the reverse sear. I think next time I will do straight on the grill -- or use my thermopen in the oven! Even though it was overcooked, we could tell it was a great piece of meat. Very tender, and still some nice flavors (those that had not been cooked out!).

So we are fans now of grass fed -- at least as done by Aldersprings. We have others, including a brisket which I am excited to try. It might be a while before we get to them, but when we do I will report back.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#57 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 20th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Glad that worked out for you, Ron. Sounds like a first class outfit with a great product. Grass fed is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned, except occasional indulgences.

Steve Manzi DBA
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Steve Manzi DBA » January 21st, 2020, 4:10 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 12:25 pm
I just received my first order from the folks at White Oak Pastures, located in Bluffton, GA. They are a terrific operation - 6 generations, 152 years - raising grass fed and free range livestock, as well as produce, and aiming for negative environmental impact by cycling use of land and other techniques. They are zero waste, with the usual waste products going into things like candles, soap, pet chew toys etc. They co-pasture their animals so as to promote natural behaviors, rather than fostering mono-species environments.

In addition to the usual muscle meats, they offer many organ options beyond just liver, and even do a ground blend that includes organs for those of us who practice nose-to-tail and want extra mineral sources.

Though not all products are always available (lamb and goat mostly in the spring, organ meats only available on cycle), their website has a function to get alerts when those are back in stock.

My every interaction with them so far as been excellent, truly top notch customer service. Prices are pretty reasonable for what you're getting, and they charge a flat $9.95 on orders over $100 for ground shipping. They will only let perishables go 3 days in transit, so any further away than that and you must upgrade to express. Most products ship frozen, though I'm currently inquiring about fresh.

The proof will, of course, be in the taste - I'll report back! I'm pretty excited to try. Since being on keto, I've been particularly concerned about the fact that I'm eating more beef than usual - concerned environmentally, not health-wise - so looking for fully grass fed with the highest sustainability standards. These folks seem pretty amazing. Check them out.

https://www.whiteoakpastures.com/
Thanks for posting this Sarah. After reading much of their site, I ordered some 21 day aged steaks. I'll report back when I cook them.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Manzi DBA
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Steve Manzi DBA » January 21st, 2020, 4:15 pm

This is an Australian Grass Fed steak purchased from Shop-Rite. Some salt, pepper and garlic salt. Sous Vide @ 125 for about 4 hours. Then seared in Goat's butter.
Attachments
IMG_2377.jpeg

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Anton D » January 21st, 2020, 6:00 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 4:15 pm
This is an Australian Grass Fed steak purchased from Shop-Rite. Some salt, pepper and garlic salt. Sous Vide @ 125 for about 4 hours. Then seared in Goat's butter.
Lovely, I am in your camp on temperatures.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”