French Toast Anyone?

French toast has made a recent comeback to our regular breakfast rotation due to the discovery of a really nice “grocery store” bread. Sara Lee makes a line of bread that they call “Artesano” and within that lineup is a Brioche bread. Sliced and packaged just like regular sandwich bread, but it has a wonderful taste and mouthfeel that works very well for French toast. Worth a try if you are a French toast fan. My preparation is the simplest possible: one egg mixed in with enough milk for a pale soft yellow is good for six slices. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

Do you have a favorite way to prepare French Toast?

Day old Challah (the drier it is the more of the egg mixture it soaks up) best I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

We tend to use heavier breads and mix in cinnamon, apple or other breads a lot. Challah is good, but falls apart for me. (Maybe local bread is problem idk)

Egg w a bit of milk, some vanilla and sometimes some cinnamon. Fry pretty slowly in butter so the “custard” in the middle sets up.

We tried this stuff recently… really dense and made a great French toast if you like heavier…

9F8557DC-2AC8-4F75-AD21-3F4DA0D9BE1A.png

I make a cornbread and Challah dressing for Thanksgiving which requires about a loaf and a half of Challah, so the remainder gets made into French toast. I just mix eggs and milk with a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, unless I have eggnog in which case I substitute it for some of the milk.

I like the challah at least a couple of days old and sliced thick.

Like Chris, I usually tart up the custard with vanilla and sometimes cinammon. A couple years ago I threw some almond extract on a whim and it’s a game changer - highly recommended.

Really only around the holidays but in our house Panettone is the preferred bread for French toast.

1 Like

I like this idea . . . decadent!

I make this quite often. I use Challah, typically a day or two old, sliced thick. I mix eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Every once in a while, I’ll add cardamom. The key is letting the challah soak in the mixture for at least a few minutes to soak up the liquid. Fry in butter. Serve with macerated strawberries and maple syrup.

I love French Toast, thanks for the reminder, going to fix it tomorrow!!

Same!!!

You folks are great!

I could only find brioche but it will sit out overnight!

Pretty close to this, but with sugar in the mix, as well. I also make a fruit topping (usually pears, sometimes apples) where I sauté them in butter, add a little bourbon and flambé at the end. Didn’t have any cheap bourbon when I made this one, so rum and triple sec.
327C8B7D-1AFA-488E-BF50-3ADD3D88B182.jpeg
71FC8C26-4DEE-4820-9032-52DE2741F4E6.jpeg

Well, I hadn’t planned on making it this weekend, but this thread made me send hubby out to pick up some poppyseed challah this morning!
IMG_1632 2.JPG

We could only find brioche but it was fun!

Thank you for the egg nog suggestion!

Egg, egg nog, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract.

Well soaked, great ‘custard feel.’

My wife thanks y’all for the idea!

My mother used to make the most amazing french toast. I have no idea what she used to do, but I am sure it was incredibly unhealthy. But, it was awesome. A fantastic “crunch” on the outside, and not mushy not he inside. Since she passed away in 1981, I have not had french toast that was even remotely close.

French toast is an art. (of course, everyone’s tastes are different)

consider eliminating the egg whites and using only yolks…the ‘eggy’ flavor is contained only in the white.

Ooooh!

This thread just keeps getting better!

[cheers.gif]

I agree! What a simple idea, but one that could be a game changer.

Wow, I guess the use is more widespread than I thought. It both works well, and provides a use for the panettone that we get gifted most Christmases and don’t otherwise love.

Another good variant is to crust French toast with some smashed up corn flakes.

I’m about to get myself banned but am I the only one who eats French Toast with salt and pepper rather than sweet? It’s bread and eggs after all.

Or is that just a Litvak thing.

I’ll put a plug in for Costco bread. Made some solid French toast today