Flour for Baking - Need Recommendations

Hello All,
I am getting into baking and need help figuring out flour. I have found King Arthur and Bob’s Red Mill but I am looking for more suggestions. Are there any four that have a protein content of 13%?

I am looking to bake Croissants, Breads, Biscuits and etc.

Thank you,
Vamsi

For biscuits I use White Lily self rising. Flour, butter and buttermilk. Easy and delicious.

King Arthur bread flower is close at 12.6%. Bread Flour | King Arthur Baking Company

What specific purpose are you looking to use flour with a 13% protein content for? (Not croissants, I hope). If you’re looking for that high of a protein content, your best bet is to blend in some whole wheat flour. And King Arthur Bread Flour is definitely the way to go if you’re looking for high protein. Even their All Purpose has a higher protein content than most of the others. Heckers is another King Arthur’s brand and also tends to be higher than average. In general, I find King Arthur/Heckers All Purpose flour to be fine for most normal purposes, including bread. You can even get away with using it for cakes as long as they’re not too delicate. Under any circumstance, they’re probably a better choice than the industrial, super processed cake flours (e.g. Swan’s Down). However, if you have a good local co-op or other bulk source, the cake flours you get there are a better choice.

As noted above, White Lily is the go to flour for biscuits. If you’re looking for a good recipe, and don’t have a grandmother in the south, Nathalie Dupree can get you started.

I’m a big fan of Central Milling.

12.7%

champagne.gif

Alex – Do you buy Central Milling flour locally (where?), or do you order it from their website? I’ve read that Safeway house-branded flour is supplied by CM (which seems to be acknowledged with a “wink” or two on the CM website: Flour & Grains FAQs // Central Milling )

Chris Bianco (of the eponymous PHX pizzeria) used CM flour before he started milling his own.

I buy flour from Central Milling and Breadtopia - both are good. I order them online and have them delivered.

[oops.gif] newhere

Central Milling and Breadtopia very well!!!
Of course, sports can bring health. But also eat right
This is the result of my weight loss. I used medium-chain triglycerides oil. I read here:
https://best-keto-supplement.com/best-mct-oil
Fatty acids have many properties that make these substances essential for health. They are not synthesized by the human body but enter it only with food. In this regard, it is important to pay attention to the diet, including foods rich in them.

Hi Vamsi,

I don’t know where you’re located, but I’d look into local flour mills so that you can source freshly milled flour. I’m in NY, and I can find Farmergroundflour (from NY) at Whole Foods. I buy their Whole Whet Bread, Rye, and Spelt flours for baking and pizzas.