Brunch at Momofuku Ssäm Bar

First opportunity to get to SSam Bar and I won’t put too much time between now and my next. We decided to do everything family style.
We started with a few orders of each, Steamed Buns (pork belly) and Shiitake Buns. These were both amazing. I am a big fan of anything pork belly. A great start indeed. I discussed with the wait staff that we wanted to stagger this service to give us a chance to actually enjoy everything at its best. Great decision. We moved onto the Fried Brussels Sprouts in fish sauce vinaigrette and and fresno chili. Holy crap, this is good! I make a very good Brussel sprout but this one took on so much depth and the added chili worked perfectly. Next up was the Rotisserie Duck & Avocado Toast pork sausage which was also amazing although not sure the favorite of the afternoon. The Tasting of Country Hams showcased four distinct sliced hams. Another awesome dish that garnered much conversation about favorites. Great choice for sure. Next was the 7-Spice Brisket Okonomiyaki which wile very good, seemed just a bit out of place with the smokiness of the meat. The Spicy Pork Sausage & Rice Cakes was spectacular; tremendous depth with nicely layered heat. Last course was the Homestyle Skillet Pancake smoked almond crumble, coconut syrup which was amazing after it cooled a bit, this the surprise dish for me. The Crack Pie, now renamed Milk Pie was spot on. Perfect balance and not too sweet, although some found it so. Every aspect of this meal was perfect and I am so glad to have this chance to sit with my family and be foodheads once again. I brought along (for a $30 corkage) a special bottle of wine, the 2009 Gaja Barbaresco. So perfect with this meal. Cheers!
IMG_20200208_133239.jpg
IMG_20200208_133244.jpg
IMG_20200208_135818.jpg
IMG_20200208_135319.jpg

IMG_20200208_142737.jpg
IMG_20200208_135002.jpg
IMG_20200208_135832.jpg
IMG_20200208_140344.jpg
IMG_20200208_140926.jpg
IMG_20200208_144406.jpg

Mike - Where is this?

New York’s East Village.

Coincidentally, made their signature Bo Ssam last night for dinner. David Chang knows how to give people what their inner fat kids want!

Thanks Jorge. The menu looks terrific. Next time I’m down that way I’ll have to give it a try.

I went to Ssam a bunch of years ago …sat at the counter with a friend and just snacked our way through a lot of the menu… I still remember it as one of my best ever meals. The country hams were the standout to me … so simple and so perfect. Milk Bar desserts are so good too!

Now I want to head back to NYC!

the pork bun is still amazing after all these years but i’m with you on the brussels. amazing!!!