Short Ribs

Was gifted a few pounds of American Wagyu short ribs from the personal stash of the local rancher that raises them.

Found lots of references to Wagyu short ribs meals or prime short ribs recipes led or techniques on the site. But no recipe or technique for Wagyu.

Which option is your favorite? Least likely to screw up? Thinking this might be a Valentine’s Day dinner in on Friday night.

Sous vide? Traeger? Weber kettle? Cast iron? Reverse sear? Braise? Some combo?

I myself find a low slow braise works best for these. 3 hours at 300 is perfect. Let chill over night, remove fat and 30 minutes roasted at 375-385 and these will just fall apart.
I like to braise in red wine (Barolo?) after a decent salting and a roll in flour and quick brown all sides. Baby carrots or other root veggies go well in the mix.

Braise or pressure cooker. Like Mike, I also like to let them sit overnight and defat the next day, but if you are pressed for time, you can pour off most of it after a short cool down just by eyeballing. Daniel Boulud’s years old recipe with celery duo is an excellent all purpose prep.

Could try Kalbi. Not sure how the extra fat would work, but have been using some incredible marbled but not Waygu ribs, and they were amazing.

Threw the pressure cooker and rice maker out when we got the Instant Pot. Have you used one for short ribs?

For you and Mike, when you set overnight do you wrap or seal them up in the refrigerator?

I will confess to not sure being confident I have the knife skills to pull off Kalbi. I’m like a kid trying to cut bread with a spoon with knife in my hand.

I sear in a nonstick, do a 45/15 instant pot and then I roast in the oven for another 30-45 minutes.

My go to is Guinness and beef stock for braising, skim the resulting fat, flavor with tomato paste and molasses. Thicken and use as your sauce.

This time I did the sauce different… I used the braising veg and immersion blended to thicken.
17809DD3-C22F-4515-813E-1E0B53D32E2D.jpeg

Instant pots/crock pots pulverize the meat and you lose the flavor and crust that comes from slow braising in a good liquid. I always braise short ribs in port/red wine with a mirepoix of onions, carrots, garlic, some red wine vinegar, chicken broth and honey. Separate the fat from the braising liquid and reduce to make a sauce. Just did this Sunday.
59DF1070-DB5A-4465-AF04-01DB7B042AFA.jpeg

WOW ! Love the idea Brian. Was looking for an idea for a beef dish on Friday and when I saw your pic that sealed it. I take it’s wilted spinach on the bottom? Does the proportion of the braising ingredients matter much?

I put in a large bowl and cover.
The fat is easily removed next day. I find it almost imperative to do this step. Same day ribs can have the weird oily mouthfeel.

That looks great!

Did you let it sit overnight as Mike and Sarah suggested?

Spinach and Swiss Chard wilted in sautéed chopped Crimini Mushrooms.

Liquid for 4lbs of Short Ribs
1 bottle red wine (I used Sangiovese)
1 bottle ruby port
2C Chicken broth
1/2C red wine vinegar
1/2C honey

Mirepoix
3 lg onions
6 carrots
2 heads garlic sliced in half
Couple sprigs of Thyme

The liquid matters because you need enough that it does not all cook off in the oven.

I brown the meat in a large pot, remove and sweat the veggies in same pot. Add liquid, bring to boil, transfer to large roasting pan, add meat, 325 for 3hrs turning meat once about 1/2 way through.

No, I dig right in.

I pull the meat and let it sit in a covered dish while I reduce the sauce. Haven’t experience the oily feel. Maybe the excess drops off?

If boneless, I’ve done American Wagyu short ribs on my Traeger for several hours (longer isn’t a problem), then seared on all sides in a hot cast iron. My family loves this prep, but we tend to like things more beefy and iron-y than most…

I’ve never done Wagyu, but for normal short ribs, I sear then braise in the steam oven uncovered. If I was using a traditional oven, I’d cover for for most of the braising and uncover towards the end to get a bit of texture on the outside. Let us know how yours turn out.

Looks like my grand plan was overruled so these are going to wait for another time. Will keep everyone posted when I do make them.

Brian - In the past I’ve always done with short ribs on the bone but have you done this recipe boneless? I’m thinking the bones might add flavor. How many short ribs per person? I’m also think boneless gives more space in dutch oven for more ribs.

Braised short ribs with a nice mushroom risotto is my all time favorite dish.

This thread has pushed me into making short ribs for valentines day dinner (which will happen on 2/16 for reasons).