The joy of seeing your kids becoming interested in cooking...

My wife and I would both answer the question, “What are your hobbies or passions?” at least in part with, “Cooking.” [Punctuation hounds: that was a tricky sentence for me, so please take it easy on me!] I wouldn’t say that we fall into the “foodie” category, partly because I think that’s a stupid term and party because we don’t necessarily geek out over food. We just love to cook and enjoy food, both the preparation and the eating, and also the experimentation. I can derive just as much satisfaction from a humble bowl of lentils as I can from a five-star, expert chef-prepared meal.

Our kids’ interest in food started with us getting them excited about and involved in growing and harvesting vegetables. Our humble vegetable beds are small, but the impact is the same. My parents are commercial fruit grows in Central Washington (on the small family farm scale), so the kids were always exposed to food growing in that way, too. They see my wife and I planning menus and getting excited about cooking something good on a weekly basis. Now, as they’re getting a little older, both are really enthusiastic about cooking (and eating). We don’t have picky eaters at all, for which I thank my lucky stars. This recent isolation has even driven that up a notch, with them cooking (assisting might be more correct) more frequently to pass the time. When either are in a foul mood, we ask them if they want to help make the meal and it almost always snaps them out of the funk. Just this morning, my 10-year-old son made us all French toast and he was positively giddy doing so, and very proud to see us eat it.

Seeing my kids get really into food and cooking is such a joy. Who else has kids that are into food and cooking, or have in the past? champagne.gif

I won’t comment on your punctuation, don’t worry! And I appreciate the proper use of the apostrophe to show plural possessive at the start of your second paragraph. :slight_smile: (But later in the post, it should be “They see my wife and ME,” not “I”. Heehee.)

To the question: I am very jealous! How wonderful that your kids are taking such an interest. I can’t get my 10 year old stepson to show the slightest interest in food, much less cooking. He’s not a picky eater at all, and eats whatever we give him, but I’ve never seen him show any real excitement about any food, even sweets. When offered dessert, he says no as often as yes. Sure, a pizza is more fun than chicken soup, but neither one elicits much in the way of enthusiasm. The upside is he’s never begged for anything in the grocery store, or thrown a tantrum over what’s on his plate. The downside is that my husband, who used to be a chef, and I are both totally confounded.

The few times we’ve tried to interest him in cooking, his fingers have gone directly under the knife with such lack of concern and regularity that we stopped trying. I doubt he could pour himself cereal and milk, if we ate such things in this house. :frowning:

It’s just chance I think Sarah … and later, you might be surprised. My brother was totally uninterested as well (and would not eat any veg, etc) yet is now a very competent cook and very engaged in food. He suddenly became interested when he first had his own place.

My daughter and son-in-law are chefs though my daughter is not currently working. My almost four year old grandson’s first “onesie” was a little chef outfit and this past Christmas I gave him a professional chef’s apron to match his dad’s complete with “Chef Juju” embroidered! For almost a year, he has been quite good at breaking eggs and mixing for a scramble – and all gets out all the ingredients for cookies and begins them quite competently on his own. His parents let him lead and I have a beloved video of them saying “yes chef” as he orders them about the kitchen! When on a playground with other kids, he also pretends to mix up a meal and then serving dishes to the other kids …

Brandon - I do think a big part of this is allowing kids to experience the pleasure of serving food that you have made to others … that can be such a special feeling. My daughter had never been particularly interested (though competent in our home kitchen). She got a part time job somewhat randomly in an inn and was asked to help with kitchen prep and I will never forget her thrilled voice when she called me to say “they let me make the Cole slaw and served it to guests!!!” Young or older, it’s a pretty magic moment.

Thanks for taking it relatively easy on me with the writing lesson, Sarah!

Siun, I never thought of actually having them serve the food they prepared, but I can totally see them really loving the “oohs” and “aahs” as they bring it to the table. Great suggestion, even if you didn’t mean the literal act of serving the food.

Oh I think they should definitely serve what they make. It’s a very special feeling I think … both for the applause but also for the understanding that they can “serve” people they care about, take care of you by bringing you food. (that’s not phrased well) My daughter has talked with me often about how much she loves that sense of service, of nourishing people when she is cooking. She loved the adrenalin of a high level kitchen and getting through service and the whole cook/chef life (not for children! ha!) but behind all of that was that sense of taking care of people in such a fundamental way. It’s fun to see my young grandson grasp that as well even if he is not yet completing a dish and serving the table (He does however bring glasses of water if he thinks his mom or I have not had enough!)

I also remember the absolute thrill when I made my first full meal for my family - around your son’s age and bringing it to the table. I was the recipe for Swedish Meatballs from the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls and included two different varieties of Campbell’s soups! over 50 years ago but it still brings a smile!

My baby eats whatever I throw into her bowl. Any quarrel means no dinner.

This weekend my 26 year old daughter claimed my kitchen is now her test kitchen. The last 3 or 4 times she’s come down, she’s led me through a new recipe she found.

My father couldn’t cook but his kitchen was my test kitchen. It feels great to share the kitchen with my daughter.

Thanks for your contribution, Victor.