Floyd Cardoz RIP

Great guy , wonderful chef

Absolutely devastating news. RIP.

Was just at one of his newest Mumbai spots - Bombay Canteen - a few months ago. Crushed by this.

Wow - RIP

Just saw this on Instagram. Guy was really fun to watch and opened so many peoples’s eyes to Indian food. Very sad to see COVID-19 hitting close to home :confused:

Looks like he’s starting to have an impact on other chefs’s decisions to serve to-go from their restaurants. See below from Pok Pok:

Dear Portland,

Today I made the decision to close all Pok Pok Restaurants for the duration of the Covid19 crisis. I did not make this decision with heavy heart; I made it with determination and a sense of urgency and with regret I did not have the strength to do so more quickly.

Yesterday my compatriot of the kitchen, Chef Floyd Cardoz, passed away from the virus. Floyd was a groundbreaking chef, an inspiration and mentor to many chefs and a kind human being. His loss should be a wake-up call to the restaurant community. We are all vulnerable.

The fact is, there is no way to 100% safely deploy a crew of workers to operate a restaurant kitchen for delivery and to go as we have been doing for the last week. By nature, kitchens are close quarter operations and though we are trained to work cleanly and with great care to follow health code and have instituted a strict protocol around the pandemic, we are not trained to keep a workspace protected from a deadly virus; that is some trained medical professional shit. I simply cannot bear the thought of one of our team becoming ill for the sake of preparing some chicken wings.

Keeping our kitchens open is a microcosm of the tension between the economy and public health that is playing out on the world stage. The fact is, we all need to stay at home to stop the spread of Covid19, all of us, now. Pok Pok is a restaurant, not a hospital, not a fire station, not a police station, not a vital food delivery service. Though it is nice to have a familiar food available during this time of isolation people do not need fish sauce wings to survive.

I have no idea when we will open again, or in what capacity, but I do know that we must close now for the good of our team and the community. I urge others to consider doing the same thing. Congress has approved a relief bill that will take care of our workers at least for a few months and if we all stay at home, this will pass more quickly than if we go to our kitchens. No non-vital business is worth keeping open at the risk of life. Please stay safe, please stay home. See you on the other side.

Love, Andy

Fond memories of meals at Tabla and North end Grill. Hated Bread Bar but that was just because of the noise level.

Yes, great chef loved Tabla and didn’t mind Bread Bar (but I never went when it was crowded)–really shocking!