Dry aged steak umai bag

Worked flawlessly. Anyone else using these and are you doing any other preps w them? This was 30 days.
9D39920C-5098-44EE-86E2-E38CBA64C95F.jpeg
199CCC0F-102C-4BAB-BF35-4362B6F6C09F.jpeg
5FB65D65-D749-49AD-927B-1A3DC1889690.jpeg

Looks pretty cool.

Is the bag sealed? If so, where does the moisture go? Seems like a cross between wet and dry aging.

Not a cross, all moisture is expelled which is necessary to form the pellicle. I lost 2lbs from a 9lb chunk over 30 days. The bag is sealed after vac but it is permeable to vapor.

What’s the purpose of the permeable bag? Why not just leave the cut open to the air in the fridge? How does the bag help?

Voodoo magic and marketing.

Isn’t the idea that you can age individual steaks without losing crust?

People probably thought Gore-Tex was voodoo. Shìt, I probably did.

Moisture control and also the initial application is done when the primal is still “wet”, so there is an initial boundary layer that forms the basis of the ensuing pellicle.

Please explain. I understand dry aging can be done without it. But this is into the bag, done. No fuss worrying about humidity control, air, temp, etc. etc.

These are also very useful for charcuteries.

If you think it works, then it does and their marketing has worked as well.

I have dry aged I don’t know how many sub primal over the years, and I have never needed a bag. Dry meat off and put in outside fridge for desired time. Of course, YMMV.

Perhaps you just happen to have the right environmental/equipment factors? If it were as simple as throwing it in the fridge that is all people would do and commercial apps wouldn’t have dedicated cabinets. Most don’t, and most do, respectively.

Let’s not dispute the bag is permeable which is the only claim they need to be legit. I vac sealed that bag myself. If it is not permeable, you do not get 20% loss. That is just physics.

Looks cool Kenny. Have not seen these before.

I used one a few years ago. As I recall the bag helped with odors. The results were not the same as true dry aged IMO.

I don’t know why you cannot accept that putting in a refrigerator at a set temp and time doesn’t work for any/everybody. You don’t need a dedicated reefer. You need space and patience. That’s it. Again, if the bag works for you, good. I hope they sell millions of them. As to permeability, I am not questioning physics in the least.

I am not saying it cannot work, to the contrary I suggested you have the right variables to make it work, but I am definitely saying it cannot work for everyone even if you have the space. It’s all about bacterial/fungal control and without some amount of humidity/airflow control you simply cannot tell me that everyone can plop it in an empty plain fridge with 100% success. That’s just BS. This is foolproof, you can.

That is an interesting observation. I did note this was more nut and mineral than the more nutty/cheesy versions I have had from Flannery. Now I don’t know if that is more to do with technique or meat.

As for odors? Zero, zilch, nada. Clean as a whistle.

BTW- I am not advocating or dissing this in anyway, but here is an old blog about this
http://blog.golbsalt.com/2012/09/07/umai-dry-bag-is-it-really-dry-aging/

I did an experiment with koji where I bought a prime rib roast, cut it in half, and inoculated half with koji. It certainly did change the flavor–but not the same taste as dry aging.

Now see, that is useful! However I am not sure the science is completely solid on the oxygen aspect. The vac bag isnt perfect first off, there is still some air in there, the goal is to get about 80% contact w the bag so you get a clean start. And in any case the pellicle forms within a week, is there really outside oxygen exchange at that point? Furthermore we are talking about enzymes operating deep within the cut and there is already captive oxygen there. Does oxygen really exchange deeply into meat? I seriously doubt it. So while they make some claims that seem logical, there is no evidence or testing to back it up.