LA-OC takeout

let’s start a thread on best takeout in LA or the OC.

Il Dolce in Costa Mesa—tiny family run Costa Mesa restaurant. Super pizza and chicken parmigiana, other items.

Water Grill in Costa Mesa—market day Tue, Thu, and Sat, early hours for over 60, great meats and seafood at excellent prices, produce. Well run system w social distancing.

I’ve drove by Il dolce for years wondering if it’s any good. I will have to check it out.

great family. Dad doesn’t even speak English—a real Italian—everything hand made. Son and wife work there. Been going for years and everyone we have sent has loved it. Hope they survive.

Just went to Water Grill earlier today for some groceries and it was really awesome. They post a menu for their meats on their website/Instagram, and in addition to that they have VERY reasonably priced produce, semi-prepared foods (bbq shrimp, bread pudding, etc.), and alcohol/cocktails! Definitely worth checking out!

As for dining, I really enjoyed Vespertine’s menu a few weeks back. Not sure what it is now, but I thought it was worth it.

kids thought the porterhouse was one of the best steaks they’ve ever had and they were reared on Flannery. BBQ shrimp easy to make with the provided kit and delicious. Sea bass excellent. Really good shopping at W Grill.

The Chicken Rice in Santa Ana is on Door Dash. Really good chicken/rice, wings, curries.

Kokonut is also on Door Dash. They deliver delicious coconut milk pudding with fresh mango. Light and perfect for the warm weather.

I agree on Il Dolce being great. That is a trek for you Alan! Will check out what Water Grill is doing.

I have heard from two extremely serious food people that the pizza and ice cream at Antico is outstanding.

can’t believe the lack of traction this thread has! C’mon, where are the good eats? Mélisse just started a high end take out, multi course, too bad it’s 75 minutes from me . . .

Brothers Sushi in Woodland Hills is owned and ran by the former head chef of Asanebo and puts out really fantastic sushi. They are doing local delivery and curbside pickup at big discounts. I had some toro, uni, bluefin, yellowtail, salmon, etc. for 2 for $50 on Sunday and it was awesome!

715 sushi - pick up in costa mesa and DTLA. Young sushi chef that was at Shunka in costa mesa. $35 chirashi and $45 with uni. Also doing other dishes.

Jimmy sugi (jimmysugi on IG) - chef at Hayato is doing Chirashi bowls that are incredible. $70 but worth every penny. Sources from Ussakasyu fish market.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_WrHDWnfNL/

Anajak Thai food in Sherman oaks - some of my favorite thai in LA. Real traditional and earth/spice driven.

Not take out but i’ve been buying a weekly veggie box from Thao Farm - incredible vegetables - more asian veggie geared which i love

Republique

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_VXRi_DRZP/

The Chicken Dinner (rotisserie chicken and four or five sides plus dessert) from Republique was pretty tasty.

Not sure what organization put this website together but it’s pretty helpful in finding takeout restaurants available in the OC, LBC, and LA area.

https://timefortakeout.com/

We cook most nights (both pre and post covid) but have done a few take out nights. Toast in Costa Mesa has had some good family meals. I’m normally not a chain steakhouse guy but Mastros Ocean has a pretty good deal going where you get 2 steaks (raw to be cooked at home), salad, sides and dessert for something like $75. I’m trying Marche Moderne tomorrow for dinner which is an easy pick up for me on the way home. Have done sushi at Bluefin as well. Also din tai fung once but that is a little bit of a back track on my way home from the office.