Best blueberry pie

during shutdown, I’ve made a couple different blueberry pies. Blueberries are killer right now. This recipe is easy and the best I’ve found yet, not too sweet so that the fruit can speak. I used a combo of white and brown sugar and cut the amount some.

I love blueberry pie. Waiting for blueberries to come in season here in NJ which is The month of June

Will try this recipe out
8E961FD5-4ACB-49F4-9B01-AB3619364AF2.jpeg

next time I might add a little more cornstarch, some lemon zest, some cinnamon.

Alan - I make something similar, only just a cup of the blueberries go into the cook, plus there’s some cinnamon. The pie shell gets filled with raw blueberries, then the cooked mixture goes over the top, soaks into and among the fresh berries and sets. The heat barely activates the fresh berries. If you have great fresh berries, and want to celebrate them, this is the way to do it. It is SO much better than any pie recipe I’ve ever had, because it doesn’t degrade the integrity of the fresh fruit. I use it for all pies expect double crust apple now.

The recipe I have used on the past calls for 6 TBS if cornstarch

The recipe is from Steve & Cookies in Margate NJ

This is one of the few things I can cook. Makes such a difference using fresh, ripe blueberries over frozen. I cut down sugar versus recipes aggressively (1/3 the amount), prefer brown sugar (if the blueberries are fantastic), use rice flour over all purpose flour (the gluten free alternative; need to use more flour to get it to set but has a more neutral flavor – be careful not too use too much or little though), and a spritz of lime or lemon, and some zest. I prefer a lattice on the top crust to get more pastry in the mix.

I also really enjoy blueberry peach pie. The peaches add a punch more acidity and complexity without detracting from the sweetness.

As someone who was born/raised in NJ, quality blueberries are something I miss. Also miss those tomatoes.

great riffs.

6D6D56CE-E7DC-481C-8DBF-CE9701474741.jpeg
made it again. Added a bit of cinnamon, ginger, lemon zest, a bit more cornstarch. Easy part is it cooks on stove in minutes.

Looks great Alan
What’s the ratio of fully cooked berries to ones you add at the end?

3:2. About five cups. They barely cook. Just a couple minutes. Lots of pop when eaten.

Thanks
Enjoy