Your Favorite Gluten Free Products

A thread for the rest of us… inspired by pizza thread and my recent discovery of EtaliaFoods below…

Pizza: https://www.etaliafoods.com/
Crust is a bit hearty/nutty with more robust flour used. But it is the closest to a pizza experience I have found so far. I brought some blanks to Difara in NY and they made me a pie in the oven and it was amazing. The verdura is OK but lacks a little salt/flavor. I find it better to go with the margherita and add your own toppings to the frozen pizza… it all cooks in 10-15 minutes in a 500F oven… I leave the pies on bottom rack and a in a little longer so the crust gets more crusty/top doesn’t burn.

Pasta: Would love to hear your favorites

Mass produced cookies: Walkers gluten free shortbread
Tates bake shop has the chocolate chips, but they are too oily and get stuck in your teeth. I find many brands to be too dry. Walkers makes it up with a lot of butter.

Pancake mix: Simple mills almond flour
Its a little niche, but I like the extra nutty flavor. I like making riffs, e.g. add in some peanut butter and use coconut oil in the pan. Think these pancakes go better with honey than syrup.
Never tried Bisquick, but I have that lined up soon.

Waffles: They all feel made by the same manufacturer to me? But all good enough.

Bread: Depends what’s available at the various retailers. My go to is Seeds & Grains Bread from Little Northern Bakehouse

Ramen: Not a product. But if you make chicken stock the way of the GAPS diet and use brown rice ramen noodles… you can get really close! .

We’ve found that ‘pate feuilette’ (puff pastry) is better than most gf pizza doughs. So we buy from the supermarket and just add our own sauce. Usually once a week.

For pasta normally Barilla.

The problem with most gf bread is just that they are long life. E.Leclerq do a really good dark country bread. I appreciate that might not help you!

Don’t really eat cookies or waffles. I’ve not had a very good gf one though.

We live in France.

Great idea on the puff pastry, I am going to look into that!
My waffles are american eggo competitors… cannot compete with what you may have used to in France!

Just prick it a lot with a fork before, and cook it super hot. Keep an eye on it as it cooks as if it ‘puffs’ too much all the topping falls off (prick with a knife if it does).

Long Table makes amazingly tasty pancake mix ( and yummy syrups too!)

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried them this morning, but did not become a fan. Found them to be a bit dry and flat. The blueberry pancakes worked better, adding that pop of juice.

Steak or Duck?

Ah… sounds like some tweaking needed. I’ll check with my DIL about favorites.

Sh@n A wrote:
Pasta: Would love to hear your favorites

Barilla Pasta for us.

Ed

chocolate.

Meat
Eggs
Red wine
White Wine
Manchego Cheese
These brand new carb free cauliflower-based crepes they sell at Costco. Place on plate, cover with cheese, zap in the bug zapper for 30 seconds, roll up, cut into pieces, makes a good carb-free snack.

Green’s Gluten Free beer:

Our favorite GF pasta is Jovial. I’ll eat it even though I’m not GF, wife is. Very narrow cooking window on GF, one minute it’s not done and a few minutes later it’s starting to disintegrate. You just have to watch it closely. Regards

The GF flour recipe from Cooks Illustrated is very passable as the real thing for many recipes.

Chocolate with nuts!! (I’m glad I came across a conversation for people who can’t eat gluten btw, it was not expected in this forum!)

Because of celiac I have been gluten free for 15 years(now 58 years old).
My favorite pasta is La Veneziane. It is 100% corn and available on line. I find vitacost to have the best price.
My favorite pancake/waffle mix is Pamelas Products. But I often make from scratch using glutenfree flour.
I like to cook and really like the Food52 life changing loaf of bread. I double the recipe to make a good sized loaf and store slices in the freezer.
For ramen I buy rice ramen at a local Asian store.
I agree that Green’s beer is very good.
With chocolate you have to be careful that it isn’t made with barley malt.

Brunehaut are by far the best gluten free beers I’ve come across.

Brunehaut is a gluten removed beer while Greens is made with all gluten free ingredients. This is important for people with celiac because the former most likely is not safe.