FENNEL-CORIANDER PORK BELLY

Simple (fool-proof!) and delicious.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5955

EA0EC261-630D-4B50-BE99-78D799CC4686.jpeg
Stay healthy,
Martin

Of course I had some leftover from the pork belly. I made a sauce based on Babi Ketjap paste and added cubed pork belly. Served with rice and cold pork belly slices on top. Finally I added fresh coriander from the garden including a silky-elegant 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein „Niedermenniger Herrenberg“ Spätlese feinherb. TASTY

79F407CE-341A-4623-BB66-F827693E466B.jpeg

Bravo! Both dishes look amazing!

This sounds great. I love pork and fennel! We make pork roasts with skin and thick fat caps rubbed in fennel three ways (seed, frond, powder) among other things.

Good idea, Sarah. This reminds me that I have fennel pollen between all my spices. It will be only added shortly before serving.

P.S. I also would like recommend caraway seeds for the rub, as pork&caraway seeds is very traditional in Germany

Martin - amazing looking, as always. You inspired me to pick up a small ~4.5lb porchetta at the market today, and I’ll riff off of your spice rub before putting it onto the rotisserie. Can’t wait.

Great looking dishes
Fennel and Coriander is my favorite 2-spice combination.

Yum. Must try. These are two of my favourite spices. (I often use with brown pepper for a sort of quasi Chinese three spice mix, I have one grinder permanently loaded with that for a quick blitz on pork chops etc with some thyme ).

There are thousands of YouTube videos regarding the perfect pork belly, but I am quite happy with my new version. My wife is not a fan of pork belly and I assumed she would only eat the veggies, even she ate 2 slices with great joy. The meat was juicy with a sublime flavor and a crunchy crust.

Fair to say next time I will make the criss-cross better and borrow me a carpet cutter from my wife. haha

BTW, this will be my new standard dish for guests. No stress and the whole work is almost done by the oven. Perfect

Please re-cook it. I am always happy for a different opinion and/or remarks for improvements.

P.S. I used organic DUROC pig from local farmers which is more expensive than the normal german pig by mass-production. Of course organic pig has much more flavor.

BTW, this will be my new standard dish for guests. No stress and the whole work is done by the oven. Perfect

That would be an interesting topic. What dishes do people cook when no-stress is important and we’re not going for Heston style pyrotechnics. For many on this board I suspect wine friendly is a factor and often simpler dishes show the wines best. Roasts of course, but also casseroles Bouef Bourgignon etc. We do BBQ Salmon on cedar plank a lot (3 guesses what spices lol) very easy but has to be timed properly.

I think the pork belly works great with white and red wine. AND after 2 slices you feel a certain well-being, as pork belly is of course not a light dish. Perfect to establish cozyness for guests.

Looks delicious - what is the sauce made of - any vegetables?

Edit: read the recipe, and saw the vegetables - did you just mix them with the Babi Ketjap paste?

I add white peppercorns and Kosher salt to F&C to make my lamb rub, heaven!

Yep
I’ll throw in just a little Rosemary to mine as well, not enough to be really noticeable, just to add a pointy layer of flavor.

Rosemary indeed is a must with lamb [cheers.gif]

I had some leftover of porkbelly and some leftover of Babi Ketjap paste, so I made this classic Indonesian dish. Of course you can add some veggies from the leftover or add extra veggies like peas etc. Its based on this instructions of the inventor of this paste. Here is the video how to make it:

I am a big fan of this brand KUMAR from the Netherlands. As you know Netherland has a long tradition of Indonesian cooking based on their former colonies.

I also can recommend the “Rendang” paste for beef. Here is the recipe:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5432

My guests were always thrilled about BEEF RENDANG. As it is a braising dish, good for re-heating the next day.

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. Babi Ketjap paste is a sweet&mild paste. Next time I will add some chili. Of course this is personal taste.

Thanks Martin for taking the time to post the recipes and videos for all the great dishes. [cheers.gif]

Pork Belly Burnt Ends