£350 strawberry

I love Japanese high end fruit. So impressive to see. I understand that most of it is given as gifts

I finally tried one of those japanese white strawberries and it’s one of the best strawberries I’ve ever eaten.

Had some last year - they are great - not sure if I see the value but really freaking tasty.

I don’t know about a 350 gbp strawberry.
But I loveee high end Japanese fruit.
Easily see the value of a $10 strawberry. It’s like smelling perfume.

Make a baller breakfast smoothie…

Only in Japan, where it can take 10 years to be a bona fides tempura cook, could they get away with this.

I can’t find the words … wow?

the effort–and pride–at being the best at even menial tasks is something to cherish and emulate. Great thread. Great culture.

^^ This

While I won’t be spending $400 on a strawberry any time soon I’ll try and hunt down one of those $20 ones the next time we make it to Japan. Assuming travel becomes possible again one of these days.

and if I ever win the lottery this will be on my list.

It’s been part of their culture for a long time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sen_no_Rikyū

yes, a Tokyo visit last year greatly impressed me.

I follow the Youtube channel of two Japanese guys who do food videos (Tabieats). Last night they did a live stream because it was one of their birthdays (they are a couple and have been doing quarantine videos in their home rather than restaurant and travel videos). The birthday cake had mango on top and inside, and this particular variety of mango sells for ~$60-120. It did look delicious, though.

So the bento box I got only had one white strawberry, it had a red strawberry also from Japan. I gave my daughter half of the white one then half of the red one. She told me the white strawberry tasted like sweet candy and the red did not.

Then her and my wife proceeded to argue over if my daughter would get the other half of the white strawberry.

It was not a pretty conflict. pileon

“We’re British for goodness sake.” neener