Help me plan my vacation meals (Myrtle Beach)

It is my wife’s family vacation in an older hotel-turned timeshare.

We’re not ready to do restaurants yet, especially in redneck holy land. The 2 of us will have our own unit, a 1 BR with a fridge, older microwave, and a 4 burner range. The cookware sucks; I might take a few of my own (mostly Made-In), as well as my knives and spices.
I can take my InstantPot.
I can take my immersion circulator.
I probably won’t have access to a grill.

I’d rather not just take freezer meals and thaw them, so I thought some people here might give me good ideas.
SC shrimp are in season, and amazing this year.
Tomatoes, corn, green beans etc should also be fresh.
My wife has a nut allergy; we have no food aversions.

I don’t want to spend full days cooking but will be wary of crowds on the beach.

I will just be cooking for the two of us so I don’t need big family meal ideas.

Give me some ideas! [cheers.gif]

Sous vide seems like the best option from what you have. Pork chops or hangers would be good.

I almost always take a cast-iron pan, chef’s knife & good tongs & foil when we’re staying anywhere with a kitchen.
Corkscrew & stems/ stemless as well.

The rest I can usually buy inexpensively (staple spices, salt) or make do with what is stocked already (pots, sheetpans).

Do not mention the topic of jihad, although locals might regard it a Yankee-accented exclamation for spicy Low Country cuisine.

I can see maybe not eating out, but BBQ is one of the few items that travels well for takeout The sides tend to reheat well also. I’d probably live on corn, tomatoes shrimp and BBQ. The only thing required is a sharp knife to slice the tomatoes.
But personally whenever we travel i take my knife roll and a non-stick pan. Those two items seem to suffer the most abuse in rentals anyway.

I recently spent a week on a sailboat and was in charge of meals.
In a way, that may be similar to vacation time share cooking - with carry-in provisions, limited spices, and adequate but less than ideal stove, cooking utensils, knives, etc. And where you don’t want to spend heavy time in the kitchen. (Actually, the stove and cookware on the boat I was on was more than adequate.)

Here is a thought - Fregola with tomatoes and shrimp.
Fregola is a Sardinian pasta. You can use Israeli couscous as the kitchen hack. See Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street recipe:

Toast it, then cook in sauteed onions, tomatoes and broth. Add shrimp.

Another idea is rice and beans with sauteed ground chicken or beef. Add corn to the beans. Burritos/Quesdaillas/etc.
Burritos the following day at the beach are also an easy lunch.

Shrimp tacos. Homemade coleslaw.

Marinated cooked green beans in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with red pepper flakes. Easy lunch with a hard boiled egg and some tuna fish.

Just some thoughts. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Fun when trying to cook on a gimbal-mounted stove, with the boat heeled thirty degrees…or more.
Even better, when the boat is hobby-horsing through waves. [snort.gif]

I’d make a batch of chicken bog, which is the signature dish of Horry County. Garden & Gun’s recipe is pretty close to how a good friend’s mom made it when I visited them in Conway.

For two people on vacation, I’d simplify it by starting with a rotisserie chicken, making chicken salad from the breast meat, then using the carcass and dark meat for the chicken bog. The Instant Pot would make it very easy to create a quick stock from the carcass and then to make the rest of the dish.

I like to add just a little bit of ketchup into mine to add a little acidity and umami, but that is optional.

Sautéed shrimp w dirty rice or pasta
Indoor foil Shrimp boil w sweet corn chunks, peppers and potatoes
Key lime pie
Shrimp tacos
Shrimp n cheese grits w sautéed red pepper and onions
Shrimp salad on grilled buttered hotdog buns w a slice of butter lettuce
Trader Joe’s fish korma in the microwave served w Malabari paratha. (Or something like it)

I’d be thinking beach(y) food. Fajitas, Carnitas, shrimp and fish Tacos. Jerked boneless chicken thighs, buy a cheap $25 grill and leave it, but you can do this on cast iron. If you get the grill, take Flannery Burgers. Crawfish Monica works great with shrimp instead of crawfish The Ultimate Jazz Fest Guide | New Orleans

I have had exactly this dilemma as my family likes to gather big groups in this area and the Outer Banks. There really are no good options. Best I’ve come up with is to rent a couple of Weber grills and hope to get lucky at some of the farm stands for seasonal produce. If you can coordinate delivery, I’d order meats and wine from good internet purveyors, because the local selection is really tough. Pretty much all factory meat and chicken. Even good fresh fish is hard to come by. I had hoped there’d be good barbecue, at least, but you have to drive miles inland to find it. This area is really a food desert.

What is wrong with chicken wings, corn dogs, and funnel cakes?

Shrimp scampi
Pasta Primavera (adding seafood optional)
There has to be some relatively simple and fast seafood stew/soup recipes on the net (thinking of Rachel Ray or Giada)
Layered (like lasagna) Enchilada casserole (chicken or hamburger)
slow-baked barbecue

Thanks to all for the ideas; we stayed three nights.
Night one—fresh shrimp tagliatelle with preserved lemon and thyme in a light cream sauce.
Night two—take out BBQ
Night three—Sous Vide pork chops, local green beans, farro with caramelized Vidalia Onion, garlic and chives that I brought from my plot.

Afternoon quarantinis and nice wines with dinner