Another revolting American concoction-and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Another revolting American concoction-and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 9th, 2020, 9:48 am

My first PBJ, peanut butter and jelly sandwich to the uninitiated. Took nearly forty years to try one, and it seemed to work in an odd way. Not quite sweet on sweet, the peanut butter took on a slight savory note, but the raspberry jam’s acidity was a nice counterbalance to the heavy fat in the peanut butter. Can’t say I will be eating another soon, but glad I finally tried it.
ITB

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Another revolting American concoction-and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

#2 Post by Andrew K. » June 9th, 2020, 10:38 am

Next you'll have to try PB & banana with honey.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Corey N.

Re: Another revolting American concoction-and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

#3 Post by Corey N. » June 9th, 2020, 10:44 am

I'd respectfully recommend you give "The Elvis" a shot. Named after The King himself, it's peanut butter, banana, bacon, and sometimes honey, on toasted white bread. You might even say that it's a meal fit for a King.

WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Jim Stewart » June 9th, 2020, 11:01 am

Mark, what has kept you away for so long? Not to pry, but where/how did you grow up to not have been introduced to this treat before now?
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Betty C » June 9th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Many years ago, I attended school with students from overseas. When one of them, a Japanese man, told me that he had never had a PB&J, I promptly made him one.

He took one bite, his eyes growing big as saucers as he looked at me and said, "This is why Americans are fat!"
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » June 9th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 9:48 am
My first PBJ, peanut butter and jelly sandwich to the uninitiated. Took nearly forty years to try one, and it seemed to work in an odd way. Not quite sweet on sweet, the peanut butter took on a slight savory note, but the raspberry jam’s acidity was a nice counterbalance to the heavy fat in the peanut butter. Can’t say I will be eating another soon, but glad I finally tried it.
Take a pass on a Skippy Hellman.

Victor Hong

#7 Post by Victor Hong » June 9th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Betty C wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Many years ago, I attended school with students from overseas. When one of them, a Japanese man, told me that he had never had a PB&J, I promptly made him one.

He took one bite, his eyes growing big as saucers as he looked at me and said, "This is why Americans are fat!"
[wow.gif]
WineHunter.

Sean Devaney

#8 Post by Sean Devaney » June 9th, 2020, 2:12 pm

PBJ is an all American sandwich. Now a PBJ made of Screwball peanut butter whiskey and blackberry moonshine is revolting [barf1.gif]

My dad was fond of peanut butter and jelly and butter sandwiches. He grew up during the depression and apparently a thing.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 9th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 11:01 am
Mark, what has kept you away for so long? Not to pry, but where/how did you grow up to not have been introduced to this treat before now?
I came to the States from England when I was in my twenties. I did not like the sound of PBJ, so avoided trying it.
ITB

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jim Stewart » June 9th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
I came to the States from England when I was in my twenties. I did not like the sound of PBJ, so avoided trying it.
I know where you are coming from. My wife came to the States at age 19. After we married she could not understand my fondness for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I can still hear her: "Disgusting, how can you eat that?" Gradually and after many years she was willing to try it. And over another period of time she went from "not as bad as I thought it would be" to actually enjoying it. So there is hope for you still.
Cheers.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by David K o l i n » June 9th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
Marmite and jelly next

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Bdklein » June 9th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I am an American and don't like peanut butter , so have never had one. Maybe one day I will have a cashew , almond, sunflower , etc. and jelly sandwich. I have had cream cheese and jelly, which is yummy .
Bruce Klein

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Andrew K. » June 9th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Bdklein wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 5:29 pm
I have had cream cheese and jelly, which is yummy .
I used to love cream cheese and jelly on my blueberry bagel.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » June 9th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Andrew K. wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Bdklein wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 5:29 pm
I have had cream cheese and jelly, which is yummy .
I used to love cream cheese and jelly on my blueberry bagel.
Not kosher.

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Linda Baehr » June 9th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Sean Devaney wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 2:12 pm

My dad was fond of peanut butter and jelly and butter sandwiches. He grew up during the depression and apparently a thing.
My dad used to eat peanut butter and butter sandwiches. My mother and I thought it was disgusting.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by RyanC » June 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm

PB&J may be the perfect food. I think I ate it every day during 3 years of law school.
C@ughey

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#17 Post by c fu » June 9th, 2020, 8:20 pm

it's all about the nut butter and jam you use.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

David Wright
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by David Wright » June 9th, 2020, 10:01 pm

As a 7-yr-old kid I thought peanut butter and cheese sandwiches rocked. Nowadays we keep peanut butter and almond butter in the fridge for the occasional PB or AB on toast with coffee. For years the Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith PB (Valencia peanuts) was our house PB, but it became hard to find. Currently we stock the Costco organic peanut butter, which is made with Valencia peanuts and actually pretty good.

NB: Jif, Skippy, etc. are at best facsimiles of peanut butter; they replace peanut oil with palm oil, canola, or similar, then top it off with sugar. Basically peanut-flavored, sweetened Crisco.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Craig G » June 9th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 7:49 pm
Sean Devaney wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 2:12 pm

My dad used to eat peanut butter and butter sandwiches. My mother and I thought it was disgusting.
If you do it correctly, toast with butter and peanut butter is great. You don’t need very much of either.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Robert M yers » June 9th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I’ve never had one either as I don’t like peanuts and can’t remember ever having the butter. I dont like jelly/jam either and haven’t had any since I licked the contents out of one of those individual containers at Denny’s or something as a kid.

I‘ve come around on lots of different food since I was a kid, but I don’t see this one ever making the cut for me.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#21 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 10th, 2020, 4:38 am

I grew up here and I've never had one. I don't think it ever occurred to my parents to give me one, and I never asked.

I've had the flavors together in desserts where chefs were trying for whimsical, so I can see how it works. Now, since I almost never eat anything as sweet as jam, and rarely eat bread, it's unlikely to happen. I'd rather save my sandwich treats for other things.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by T Klonoski » June 10th, 2020, 4:44 am

I much prefer Skippy to other major brands.
I felt vindicated by a taste test in our local paper.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
T0m

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Dan Hammer » June 10th, 2020, 9:23 am

Mark.

I had PB&J on whole grain bread twice, at the beginning of Covid-19. It was a nice change of pace from various egg concoctions and supermarket deli meat sandwiches. Try it with name brand chunky peanut butter. The crunch makes the difference.
This space for rent.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Siun o'Connell » June 10th, 2020, 9:32 am

Nope ... none of that chunky or healthy stuff. Skippy creamy peanut butter, Welch’s grape jelly (not jam), Pepperidge Farms Original White bread, side of Potato Chips (not baked), glass of cold whole milk. Heaven. The salt of the chips is crucial imho.

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by C. Mc Cart » June 10th, 2020, 9:34 am

Is PB&J an American invention? I guess it must be.

While the ying/yang of mouth coating PB, against the acidic jam/jelly combo makes sense, let's face it - PB&J is really only a kids sandwich, so not too surprising there's a less than totally positive response on the thread.

Next up - do you like cut up hotdogs in your kraft dinner?
Chris

Scott G r u n e r

#26 Post by Scott G r u n e r » June 10th, 2020, 9:53 am

A good PBJ is awesome- The issue is there are too many folks that experience bad PBJ- Cheap peanut butter, confected jelly, inferior bread- or one that has been all mushed together in a sandwich bag...

I know it is bad with Hydrogenates, but Jif is the right mix of peanut flavor and creaminess for me- and my mom's homemade raspberry jam on a nice soft piece of seeded wheat bread.
//Cynic

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by cjsavino » June 10th, 2020, 10:07 am

And a step beyond pb&j is the pb&fluff
CF27E2EC-9F11-41F6-A9E8-BCA42315CC36.jpeg
Chris

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » June 10th, 2020, 12:22 pm

I was never a huge PBJ fan since I was never a big peanut butter guy. As a kid when everyone else was making a PBJ, I would just make a jelly sandwich (strawberry jam strongly preferred to grape jelly). Of course, at the same time, my brother would just eat peanut butter straight from the jar.

The weird sandwiches in my house when I was a kid were both from my Dad's childhood - he would have radish sandwiches (with butter) and braunschweiger sandwiches (with mayo or Miracle Whip). Usually nothing else on them, maybe sometimes some lettuce. I will never make myself a radish sandwich these days, but I could eat one and it would be fine. And I still love braunschweiger.

And this song is dedicated to Mark G -

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » June 10th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Grew up on it, still love it. My biggest quarantine dietary fail has been the result of discovering Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roasted Crunchy. I think I am into the fourth jar since March. Most consumption is via the random rounded teaspoon.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by C. Mc Cart » June 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Dave, have heard a few people swear by a radish & butter sandwich. Have not tried one myself.
Chris

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by M.Kaplan » June 10th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Small radishes on buttered, crusty baguette is a delight.

I only eat PBJ sandwiches now streamside when fishing. They are a perfect combination of highly portable salt, fat, sweet, and protein. My favorite peanut butter is Magee's Krunchy from The Farmers Market. Peanuts only (no additives of any kind); requires refrigeration as it isn't shelf stable. Buttering the jam/jelly side of the bread is essential; adds flavor as well as protects the bread from saturation. As long as I'm buttering one side of the sandwich, might as well butter the peanut butter side as well...

Last edited by M.Kaplan on June 12th, 2020, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Mark

Joe W i n o g r a d

#32 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » June 10th, 2020, 3:27 pm

If you can enjoy a linzer cookie then you can enjoy a pbj. It’s all in the execution.

But what wine to pair?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#33 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 10th, 2020, 3:46 pm

I still love an occasional PB&J - it's my go-to road food, like today, on the way to the doctor's office (40 min away), I packed myself a lunch with a PB&J in it and was actually excited :)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Alex N

#34 Post by Alex N » June 10th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Isn't Britain about as known for revolting concoctions? After trying haggis, black pudding, jellied eels, full english breakfast (and watching Marco Pierre White concoct 90% of the time) I'd hold that to be true but love me some good fish and chips. I don't know what defines USA cuisine, but I think it owns BBQ(yay!) and fast food(boo!), burgers, and has taken lots of okay foods to a different level within the states (Mexican, sandwiches, pizza, craft beer).
@13x N1ch•!z

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by David K o l i n » June 10th, 2020, 4:57 pm

I eat a fair amount of peanut butter (Skippy and Velvet (a nod to my childhood), crunchy always) but I don’t remember my last PB&J sandwich - must be more that 40 years ago. I’ve taken to peanut butter on tortilla chips as a occasional snack

Alex N

#36 Post by Alex N » June 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I never did much pb&j either. Avo, cheese, sprouts, lettuce, tomato was a staple for a long time. The local store has bins of almonds, cashews, peanuts and sort of a "nut of the week" with a grinder to make butter and it's really good. I used to make (my revolting concoction that's not so bad), on spelt toast: almond butter, wilted spinach, avocado. It sounds gross but considering how neutral everything it tastes good and a healthy breakfast and lunch.
@13x N1ch•!z

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Betty C » June 10th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 3:46 pm
I still love an occasional PB&J - it's my go-to road food, like today, on the way to the doctor's office (40 min away), I packed myself a lunch with a PB&J in it and was actually excited :)
Yes, but did you pack it right?
CB959761-BB45-477B-B676-4C98BE9F8AD0.jpeg
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » June 10th, 2020, 11:37 pm

David Wright wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 10:01 pm
As a 7-yr-old kid I thought peanut butter and cheese sandwiches rocked. Nowadays we keep peanut butter and almond butter in the fridge for the occasional PB or AB on toast with coffee. For years the Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith PB (Valencia peanuts) was our house PB, but it became hard to find. Currently we stock the Costco organic peanut butter, which is made with Valencia peanuts and actually pretty good.

NB: Jif, Skippy, etc. are at best facsimiles of peanut butter; they replace peanut oil with palm oil, canola, or similar, then top it off with sugar. Basically peanut-flavored, sweetened Crisco.
For 35 years Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith was the only PB I would eat. Unfortunately they had a couple of incidents with salmonella and the PB seems to have disappeared from the marketplace.
Cheers,
Paul

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#39 Post by Adam Frisch » June 11th, 2020, 12:19 am

As an European immigrant, there are a few American classics that belong in the top echelons of any cuisine:

PBJ
Ranch Dressing
Cobb Salad
Eggs Benedict
Hamburger
Ribs w. corn bread
Reuben Sandwich (arguably in the top three of all time best sandwiches along pork Bahn Mi and the Cuban).
Last edited by Adam Frisch on June 11th, 2020, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#40 Post by Adam Frisch » June 11th, 2020, 12:22 am

Corey N. wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 10:44 am
I'd respectfully recommend you give "The Elvis" a shot. Named after The King himself, it's peanut butter, banana, bacon, and sometimes honey, on toasted white bread. You might even say that it's a meal fit for a King.

Fu*k me! I'm on a no-carb thing (wine excluded, of course) all of June, but this is the first goddamn thing I'm trying when I'm off the wagon! Can't believe I've never tried it before! [dance-clap.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 11th, 2020, 5:48 am

Adam Frisch wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:22 am
Corey N. wrote:

Fu*k me! I'm on a no-carb thing (wine excluded, of course) all of June, but this is the first goddamn thing I'm trying when I'm off the wagon! Can't believe I've never tried it before! [dance-clap.gif]
A bridge way too far
ITB

David Wright
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by David Wright » June 11th, 2020, 10:44 am

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:37 pm
David Wright wrote:

For 35 years Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith was the only PB I would eat. Unfortunately they had a couple of incidents with salmonella and the PB seems to have disappeared from the marketplace.
Ah, so that's what happened. The Costco stuff (Valencia peanuts) might be worth a try.

T. Williams

#43 Post by T. Williams » June 11th, 2020, 11:16 am

cjsavino wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 10:07 am
And a step beyond pb&j is the pb&fluff

CF27E2EC-9F11-41F6-A9E8-BCA42315CC36.jpeg
I ate these everyday for the entire school year when I was in eighth grade. I switched over to jelly from 9th grade onward, to this day I am good for a few PB&Js a week.

Then about 2 years ago I had the opportunity to eat a PB&Fluff. It was the sweetest, worst thing I have eaten in years. I don't know how that stuff has a viable consumer base to still be produced.

TW
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Kenny H » June 11th, 2020, 1:01 pm

I think PBJs are good but we don't eat them. Now PB, banana, bacon, you bet.

I will only admit this once but as a kid, PB, mayo, velveeta, pickle. Not from a parent, we made it up.

BTW- if you can find the "Old Home" all natural peanut butter in the refrigerated section, it is delicious. Otherwise nut butter blends from TJs.
H0eve!kamp

Corey N.

#45 Post by Corey N. » June 11th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:22 am
Corey N. wrote:

I like you.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by M.Kaplan » June 11th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Elvis liked his fried in bacon fat or butter.
---Mark

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Robert M yers » June 11th, 2020, 9:37 pm

[stirthepothal.gif] But do you all refrigerate your peanut butter?

I had no idea this was a controversy until I tried to tell my wife we didn’t need to take up the refrigerator space With her butter.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Scott Brunson » June 12th, 2020, 6:41 am

My childhood was Jif extra crunchy with my mom’s muscadine (sometimes scuppernong) jelly.
We always had sourwood honey in the house too in case I was craving peanut butter and banana.
I still partake every now and then.
And my 81 year old mom still makes jelly. [wow.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Mike DiSalvo

#49 Post by Mike DiSalvo » June 12th, 2020, 8:46 am

Mark, you really need a tall glass of cold milk with your PBJ! That is like a wine and cheese perfect match! Be a little adventurous with your jam/jelly match, when I was a kid it was strawberry preserves all the way with sometimes peach preserves, but now when I go jelly it is usually a mixed berry or blackberry preserves, hardly ever grape which is what most kids like. I still eat PB (no jelly) just about every morning during the week on toasted wheat bread with black coffee (another great match) and save the jelly/jam for the weekends. Also, I eat mostly Kroger's Organic Simple Truth PB which has 2g sugar and 7g protein per serving.
Last edited by Mike DiSalvo on June 12th, 2020, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M!ke Di$alvo

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Jay Miller » June 12th, 2020, 11:27 am

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:37 pm
David Wright wrote:

So that's what happened to it. That was my go to as well.

And I'll eat a PB&J about twice a year. Usually just half a sandwich.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”