Another revolting American concoction-and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

My first PBJ, peanut butter and jelly sandwich to the uninitiated. Took nearly forty years to try one, and it seemed to work in an odd way. Not quite sweet on sweet, the peanut butter took on a slight savory note, but the raspberry jam’s acidity was a nice counterbalance to the heavy fat in the peanut butter. Can’t say I will be eating another soon, but glad I finally tried it.

Next you’ll have to try PB & banana with honey.

I’d respectfully recommend you give “The Elvis” a shot. Named after The King himself, it’s peanut butter, banana, bacon, and sometimes honey, on toasted white bread. You might even say that it’s a meal fit for a King.

Mark, what has kept you away for so long? Not to pry, but where/how did you grow up to not have been introduced to this treat before now?

Many years ago, I attended school with students from overseas. When one of them, a Japanese man, told me that he had never had a PB&J, I promptly made him one.

He took one bite, his eyes growing big as saucers as he looked at me and said, “This is why Americans are fat!”

Take a pass on a Skippy Hellman.

[wow.gif]

PBJ is an all American sandwich. Now a PBJ made of Screwball peanut butter whiskey and blackberry moonshine is revolting [barf1.gif]

My dad was fond of peanut butter and jelly and butter sandwiches. He grew up during the depression and apparently a thing.

I came to the States from England when I was in my twenties. I did not like the sound of PBJ, so avoided trying it.

I know where you are coming from. My wife came to the States at age 19. After we married she could not understand my fondness for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I can still hear her: “Disgusting, how can you eat that?” Gradually and after many years she was willing to try it. And over another period of time she went from “not as bad as I thought it would be” to actually enjoying it. So there is hope for you still.
Cheers.

Marmite and jelly next

I am an American and don’t like peanut butter , so have never had one. Maybe one day I will have a cashew , almond, sunflower , etc. and jelly sandwich. I have had cream cheese and jelly, which is yummy .

I used to love cream cheese and jelly on my blueberry bagel.

Not kosher.

My dad used to eat peanut butter and butter sandwiches. My mother and I thought it was disgusting.

PB&J may be the perfect food. I think I ate it every day during 3 years of law school.

it’s all about the nut butter and jam you use.

As a 7-yr-old kid I thought peanut butter and cheese sandwiches rocked. Nowadays we keep peanut butter and almond butter in the fridge for the occasional PB or AB on toast with coffee. For years the Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith PB (Valencia peanuts) was our house PB, but it became hard to find. Currently we stock the Costco organic peanut butter, which is made with Valencia peanuts and actually pretty good.

NB: Jif, Skippy, etc. are at best facsimiles of peanut butter; they replace peanut oil with palm oil, canola, or similar, then top it off with sugar. Basically peanut-flavored, sweetened Crisco.

If you do it correctly, toast with butter and peanut butter is great. You don’t need very much of either.

I’ve never had one either as I don’t like peanuts and can’t remember ever having the butter. I dont like jelly/jam either and haven’t had any since I licked the contents out of one of those individual containers at Denny’s or something as a kid.

I‘ve come around on lots of different food since I was a kid, but I don’t see this one ever making the cut for me.