Ooni Discussion

I know there is a lot of Ooni discussion in the pizza thread, but I thought I would start a separate dedicated discussion. I received my Ooni Fyra last night (the new pellet-fired model). I’m a pretty dedicated amateur outdoor chef and I’m good at lighting fires and cooking things on those fires, but this totally blew me away. Getting to 800 degrees so quickly and making something that, while incredibly ugly and misshapen came pretty close to tasting like Neapolitan pizza, felt like opening up a new world.

I’m interested to hear from others.

I’m particularly interested in dough recipes and rolling techniques.
Alex

Yep have the Ooni Koda, can get it to 870F in about 15mins on the stone. Loving mine. So quick, literally 2mins a pizza to cook you just have to be super careful not to burn the edges, pull it out, turn, wait 15sec, pull it out and turn, wait 15sec…

They are struggling to keep up with demand.

I’ve been buying par-baked pizza bases from the local Pizza place. Working great for me, as I just don’t have the time to muck about with dough.
IMG_3004.jpg

Cooks just gave it a big thumbs up. I like your setup for it. Once i get a roof for my outdoor area, i’m going to get one.

Waiting for Ooni to get the NG converter into production/ distribution this summer, then will be pulling the trigger on the Koda 16.
Kenji’s youtube videos convinced me this was the one most suitable for my usage.
Similar to your table Dave, I have a stainless steel table in mind from a local restaurant supply place, that will almost exactly fill the space between a wall and my Weber. Will place the Ooni on this and will still have about 30" of work space between them.

Dave are my eyes deceiving me or do I see four different cookers? [wow.gif]

Thanks for the note on the product Dave. I’ve been considering one though am leaning towards the 16 or Pro. I will say though, making dough is super fast once you get the hang of it and I think you’d be much happier with the results unless the local place is really amazing. Making dough probably takes me 15 minutes total, and half of that time is hands off, while the dough is in the stand mixer. Also, I’m making the dough two or three days in advance and then it’s ready when I need it.

What’s your dough recipe Michael? Willing to share?
A

my favorite dough recipe so far

tonight on my Ooni
104420143_10224171623987022_2794375916925404843_n.jpg

Happy to share. There are people with more expertise than me posting in the pizza thread, but I am very happy with this:

• 250 g King Arthur bread flour
  • 250 g Caputo “00” flour (I use the Caputo “Red” as it is supposed to work better for conventional home ovens)
  • 335 g of warm water*
  • Approx. 2/3 of a packet of yeast, usually Red Star Platinum**
  • Large pinch of salt (about 10-15g)

Mix water and yeast in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, add flours and salt. Mix on lowest speed until combined, then move up to a third speed on the Kitchen Aid to knead the dough for about 7 minutes. Then knead by hand for about 5 minutes. Place in lightly oiled bowl covered with press and seal and a rubber band. Allow to rise until doubled in size. Punch down and replace wrap, then place in refrigerator for 2-3 nights. On the day I want to use it I take it out in the morning and let it rise all day. If I’m around the house I’ll separate into 2-3 separate balls of dough a few hours before I intend to use it, in separate containers. If not I’m okay with cutting it when needed, but separating earlier makes it easier to shape properly.

*335 g of water is 67% hydration. I’ve tried higher and a bit lower, but with the choice of flours I’m using 67% is easy to work with and produces good results.
** I’m also experimenting with my own sourdough starter now. It is slightly more difficult to dial in the hydration because I don’t know the exact hydration of the starter, but the flavor is great.

We’re planning on buying one so I look forward to input and reviews.

NG converter is apparently in production and ready to ship, so just pulled the trigger with a local dealer for both. Sounds like I’ll get the adapter well before the Koda 16, as the back order wait from Ooni is now 8+ weeks.

It’s ok. As there won’t be any summer travels for us, we’re getting all our patio, walkways & hard surface areas re-done, so I’ll have a nice spot ready when they finally do arrive.
Guess I better start working on my dough game.

Your hydration for sourdough will stay similar around mid 60’s.

When you are feeding your starter it should always be 100% hydration.

Thanks Kenny, and I know that’s true in theory. I typically feed the starter in a rush, measuring instead of weighing. So it tends to get a bit on the wet/thin side, and I find myself having to guess a bit and in an attempt to correct it. It’s manageable, and I have enough feel for what the correct hydration in my pizza dough should work like at this point to adjust if I have to do so. Hasn’t proven to be a problem with bread but for pizza dough I’ve had a batch recently come out just too hydrated for me to work. Totally my own fault.

I’m using the sourdough recipe from up thread.
63% water
15% 100% starter
3% salt
2% Olive oil
I have kneaded when using the 00 flour, when using regular KA, no knead just a rest and a couple of stretch and folds over a 1 hour period. Balled then overnight rest in fridge.
The balls keep for several days easily. So if you have fridge space, make a batch Sunday and have pizza and flat breads all week.

i’ve used

500gr 00 flour
325gr water (65% hydration)
10gr salt
3gr active dry yeast

1 Like

Is it ok to leave the oven outside full time (covered when not in use), or do you all bring it inside? I’m planning out a new outdoor kitchen at our place in Tennessee, and I definitely want a spot for a pizza oven. But it will not be covered, and I don’t really want to deal with having to put it away at the end of the evening.

Mine has been outside, under a 2 Burner BBQ cover. (not the ooni one). It is a heavy vinyl type and seems to do the job. You have to leave the oven for a good hour to let it cool down properly before covering again.

I took the plunge and ordered the Fyra.
Delivery is next month so I have plenty of time to plan that first pizza.

Looking for some recommendations on the Ooni. At first I was totally into thinking I wanted the Karu, especially as it also has the gas option (though that’s sold out on the website with no estimate of when it’s back in stock). When reading I think it was Cooks Illustrated maybe they, along with other user reviews noted how small the wood/charcoal bin is, seems it was considered a drawback. So, if that’s true and it’s difficult and you’d maybe use gas instead then maybe I should just get the Koda 16.

For the experts out here, do you have any opinions on using the Karu with charcoal/wood? As the pizzas cook so quickly at that temp, if I opt for the gas model, am I missing out in the wood oven flavor? Any opinions or experiences would be great. Thanks!!