Help me rub my butt

I have typically dry rubbed the butt a day or so ahead of the smoke- (garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano)

however having recently made the best brisket of my life with the franklin method of just salt and pepper… am now wondering if I should do similar with the pork butt.

thoughts? has anyone experimented with the franklin method for smoked pork butt?

I’m doing one tomorrow. I’ve tried both methods having watched some of Aaron Franklin’s master class. The S&P think leaves me cold when it come to pork. It needs some sugar and heat to show it’s best. This morning’s rub was salt, pepper, chipotle powder, garlic, paprika, onion powder, ginger powder, guajillo powder, cumin, and some Korean red pepper flakes. It varies all the time. The butt is small, only about 6lbs and bone in. I usually try to go 8-9 hours at between 225-250 and wrap in butcher paper after 6 or 7.

If you want to get adventurous, I have made this before- Cochinita pibil. SO good. You could probably do it without the banana leaves (the second time I did it, I actually smoked for a couple of hours before wrapping it), but I like it with. YUMMY!

That looks bangin! Where were you yesterday when I was going over this in my head?

Seriously, thanks for the tip! Have a great 4th.

My take is yes, but I would use a little more than just S&P.
The last butt I smoked the wife “surprised” me with from the store and I didn’t have the ingredients to make my own rub.
I had received a rub mix as a Christmas gift and decided to use that.
The end product was saltier than my normal rub, but we both thought the end product was really good, I also injected it with clarified salted butter.
Here’s the rub ingredients, primary is S&P and surprisingly no sugar.
22B1CB82-1CCD-4A2B-937D-9792C56BC1DB.jpeg

Pork butt loves paprika and brown sugar along with the salt and pepper.

Yes.

I like Meathead’s Memphis Dust rub, personally. Super easy to make, and the color from the paprika/brown sugar is fantastic. Remember to salt first, per the link.

Plenty more time this summer!

You too.

I like this.
This is my present mix that I use for pork butt and definitely for baby back ribs.
This is a modification of my brother’s personal rub. It is absolutely wonderful. Salt and pepper before applying this to your liking. Not too much salt
since you do have a little in the rub.

1cup light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chipotle pepper ground from Mesa ( I love this brand. Nice and smoky. Savory.)
1 tsp sweet paprika… I use Hungarian Style from Szeged… the stuff from Hungary (from Kalosca) is best but I can’t get it easily
1 tsp cafe bustello (or espresso coffee)… I just use my own ground coffee. Fine grind. I don’t think it really matters as long as it is aromatic.
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin

I don’t use much garlic due to the fact that it imparts that slight bologna flavor but you could add 1/2 tsp for sure to the rub and it wouldn’t change a lot.

It is super delicious and makes a great bark.

The Franklin method for seasoning is the only way to do brisket. I have added a little paprika at times but it doesn’t help. I can’t do better. I have tried.

Don—that sounds great. I’ve never added Bustello to my mix but will give it a try. I frequently make a powder with a mix of dried chilies as past of my base
(and I always sneak a little Chipotle into my red mole).

I’d use substantially more Paprika. It’s usually right up there with the brown sugar in measurement in my rub. At least 1/2 amount of brown sugar.

I’ve done the coffee in steak rubs before but never on a pork butt.

^
Me too

Try coffee on pork chops; I think it’s fantastic and I like the color.

My one-two on pork shoulder, ribs, and brisket is first to use Loot N Booty and then a finishing rub of Zero to Hero.
I have tried just salt and pepper on brisket and it works.
I have tried just S+P on ribs and pork (Boston) butt and I don’t like the results.
But so much depends on the type of smoker and heat source (lump or splits).

How do you like my Butt?
This is coated in yellow mustard, then bad byrons butt rub on the bottom and then my pork rub on the top and sides. My pork rub has about 50% salt and sugar by volume and the ratio of salt to sugar is 1 to 1. Sugar is divided 50/50 brown and white sugar. Butt came from Sam’s $.99/lb.
61560011144__5D91231B-3955-46A5-A2A8-F713AA231D10.JPG

You’ve got one great looking butt there, Milton. You must work out(side).

I like Harry Soo’s rub but I use a different injection. I make the rub with the ingredients list here.

On the few occasions when I brown or roast either beef or pork, the base flavor ingredients include ground cinnamon and instant coffee powder.