MURCA! What're you making and drinking today?

What’s everyone making to celebrate their 4th?

I’m taking a shot at Pequods style deep dish pizza. Gonna open a couple Italians with it. Probably a peach and tomato salad to start.

How about you?

Two slabs of coffee-rubbed St Louis ribs.

Trying something new, “Acorn Fed Iberico Pork Baby Back Ribs”. Salted them yesterday afternoon and they have been air drying in the fridge. I’ll use a homemade rub before I put them on the smoker.
To drink most likely a Zin.
23F1DAF4-A023-4172-9E63-3C7E83228F56.jpeg

Pulled pork sammiches and zinfandel/field blends

Grass fed hot dogs for lunch. Lamb rib chops for dinner.

Bringing tater salad and vino to my best friends.

Interesting! Where did you get Iberico ribs??

Those look great. I did two racks of iberico spare ribs (from Marx foods) on Thursday and they were delicious but a little thin. The fact content was great but did make temp control a bit harder as I smoke on a primo grill so got some flare ups. I’d love to get something with more meat like those baby backs.

Just brats and corn on the cob for us today.

A place opened up recently in Miami called Meat n’ Bone and they offer free delivery into southern Palm Beach County. I was intrigued by the idea so when my wife asked for baby backs for the 4th I decided to give them a try. I’ve also seen these on-line but don’t recall where.
Just brought them off the smoker, they cooked quicker than I expected - 3 hours at 225.
Picked our Zin and getting ready to chow down.
ECD21755-09A0-486F-B9FC-F28961F52C6D.jpeg
14F0AD70-0B48-4839-B853-0D2E407F5D1D.jpeg

Flannery Hangers, tails and a 2014 Once & Future Bedrock Vineyard. [cheers.gif]
C8D3984D-0809-4CAC-951C-2C267CECC197.jpeg
0B287FD9-BD24-4D2A-A953-36C5CC01D730.jpeg

Pulled pork with Gina-influenced slaw. Watermelon/feta/basil salad.

Drinking mezcal with Trader Joe’s Jalapeño Lemonade. Really good and refreshing today.

Brats w/kraut & onions, corn on cob, tossed salad, Dandi SB, sit on the deck and pretend Erie didn’t cancel their fireworks this year.

So We just finished dinner, the cook was right on, they were very tender. They are much thinner than normal baby backs so there is a greater crust to meat ratio, I also feel they have more fat. They were/are very rich, with a delicate texture, and I’m probably imagining it, but somewhat sweet and nutty (the acorn thing). I should have only sauced one of the racks to compare them with and without. My wife wants to try the leftovers with a more acid based sauce. They might be better cooked with a non-traditional rub (mine is brown sugar/paprika based). Can’t say I’m going to run out and do them again, I started out wanting to do Duroc St. Louis ribs.
89534F2C-A94F-43EB-881B-8014A7CD226E.jpeg

We used to eat at the original location, The Pequod Inn, when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. It was awesome! The owner and my dad hit it off with their shared love of antiques, and one night he took us in his back room and showed us his antique radio collection.

So many great memories there.

I’m baking a sourdough loaf and making my friend’s chopped liver recipe.

I jumped the gun and smoked ribs last weekend. I made a mop of Kombucha, miso, and gochjang, among other spices. It was so good!

Just about to get some St Louis ribs ready to get on the grill with a little smoke. The coffee rub idea is now in my head, though, so I might make one of those.

The Pequod knockoff was pretty great! Got a really good crispy crust. I think I nailed it!
E96C0B37-B2BE-41BA-9DAA-F6136383B7FA.jpeg

Looks yum! I’ve been wanting to try my hand at deep dish. This is my inspiration!