K-Paul's Restaurant In New Orleans Closes Permanently

Truly the end of an era: Iconic New Orleans restaurant K-Paul’s closing permanently | New Orleans CityBusiness

From 1981 (cut and pasted, the section that mentions Arnaud’s and Bozo’s is not part of the script) New Orleans Menu

Too bad, I’ve enjoyed several nice meals there over the years.

I’m shocked this was still open. Haven’t been there since the mid-'80s and haven’t even heard anything about it in years.

I ate there in the mid 80’s and again in the mid 90’s and it was very good both times.
Sorry to say I have not been back in 25 years.

From Ian McNulty’s story on NOLA.com, Paul Miller, the closing chef and husband of Prudhomme’s niece Brenda, cooked with Paul from Commanders Palace on, so I’m guessing the food was still pretty good.

I remember when he opened briefly in SF in 1983, though I never went. Blackened Redfish was found on many menus shortly thereafter. The original SF pop-up restaurant: Paul Prudhomme’s K-Paul’s

Yes sure, blackened redfish. Debris sauce was another, more minor invention he used to good effect. I’m not sure that one ever spread beyond New Orleans however.
(speaking of Acadiana, coincidentally we had the last of our recent foray into homemade boudin for dinner last night. I’ll post about it on this forum if I get some time)

My wife of many more brain cells than I, recalled a private party she attended at K-Paul in 2000 with the chef in attendance selling/signing one of his books.
We still have it - Kitchen Expeditions, though I hadn’t picked it up in years until last night.
Most embarrassingly she reminded me of a dinner we had there together in 2003. Obviously I had not thought of it in years.
Though the food was good, there was a small kitchen/service faux pas and we were surprised by how attentive the staff was about it.
Having recently lived in both NYC and San Francisco, the general level of service professionalism impressed us.

I ate it near the 2000s. It was delicious back then. Shocked to hear it is closed :frowning:.

Last time I ate there was 2014. It was a wonderful meal. Sad it’s gone.

I am sad to see the loss of places that always seemed like they would be permanent fixtures in my world.

Back in the day, the restaurant would stick stars on people who ‘did a good job’ on their meal.

One night, I sat and watched my mashed potatoes seem to ‘sweat’ butter droplets.