Chicago classic: Italian beef sandwich, with giardiniera

Pure heaven.

Oh man. I was 40 before a good friend introduced me to these. What a revelation. I have had giardianiera in the fridge ever since, always with hot peppers. It compliments all kinds of salads and other dishes, a pantry staple.

Yes! It brings a tear to my eye thinking how long it’s been since I have had a good Italian beef sandwich with the hot giardiniera.

Saw today. Nice to see little Joe’s in Countryside get some props. Some of this list I disagree with. Al’s #1 ? not. Also Mr. Beef shouldn’t be on that list.

Brings back some great memories for me. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I lived on Halsted, just north of Webster. Fullerton was my L stop. Can’t imagine how many times I picked up Italian Beef at Demon Dogs for dinner on my way home from work. Good stuff…

I haven’t had enough of them to make a strong opinion. I love Johnnys but almost never go down there. Buona and Portillos are the easiest for me to get and Portillos wins that race. During quarantine one of my favorite meals was getting the frozen Vienna beef tub and a pack of good rolls. I’d put it in the slow cooker with peppers and onions. So good.

The next day I’d make a roux with butter and add the leftover juice. Best gravy ever. I’d pour that over French fries and cheese curds for a world’s best poutine.

[winner.gif]

You’re lucky you’re still alive

I like mine “wet.” Damn near impossible to eat. And I like giardiniera, but make sure to capture enough of the oil so that you dread tomorrow. We use the oil as a flavor enhancement to other foods, such as scrambled eggs.

Nick, completely agree. Been mediocre for many years, but I try again every few years. Last visit was about 6 months ago and I’m done. Beef had no discernable seasoning, not sure how you could have giardiniera that bland, terrible service, and filthy inside, even though I was the only customer. They rest on past laurels.

I do still like the original Al’s on Taylor, and don’t have a problem with them and Johnnie’s in any one-two combo. IB’s have become a once, maybe twice, a year treat for me.

I LOVE Portillos beef! I don’t know how there aren’t more decent Italian beefs outside of Chicago.

Agree on both points. Took my son to Mr Beef about a month ago. Pure meh. It was much, much better 30 years ago

wow for once I get people to agree. I made this same point years ago here and got some pushback. There’s one member who know a whole lot about mortgage fraud but very little about Italian beef. LOL

Back in the day the best beef was in the burbs of Berwyn and Cicero. A lot of those places are gone now. I once dated a Scatchell. Their beef is excellent. I also love the beef at Carm’s on Taylor. Since I live less than a mile from little joes now that is my go to place.

Portillo’s is coming to Detroit next year but this place opened recently and it’s great.

I have to say that for a large corporate presence Portillo’s is really outstanding

Had some co-workers from Germany in-town…big-time meat-eaters. First lunch was Portillos: each got a Beef with hot peppers, dog with everything, fries, drink, chocolate cake…they appeared to still be hungry. And steaks every night, no exceptions.

PS when in Boston, get the Kellys roast beef and a side of lobster roll.

These are my kind of people!

When not blowing up sloppy mortgage lenders, his food focus is probably oily noodles, not oily sandwiches.

Also delicious.

Luke’s was my go-to when I worked in the Loop. Johnnie’s was great the one time I went, but maybe not worth the extra effort when Portillo’s is so convenient.