Steam oven worth it?

We are getting ready to embark on, at least replacing the range, and potentially remodeling the entire kitchen, of our new house. I have been wanting a steam oven for better bread baking, but as I research, I realize how much this limits the selection, especially when I can only fit a range (it’s a small house with a small kitchen; no amount of creative design will create space for a wall oven). So I’m trying to decide if it’s actually worth it or not. If any of you have steam ovens, how much do you use it, and how much difference do you think it makes?

Complicated, jammed-in add-ons might not work as well as intended, and be expensive to fix.

We absolutely love ours and use it all the time. Not only is it great for baking, it’s amazing for low and slow cooking and is the best thing ever for reheating leftovers. There are, of course, a zillion other things you can do with it.

Theoretically, if I could have only one, I’d do a combi oven. The problem is that the ones for home are pretty small and are only electric/steam, not gas/steam, to my knowledge. Gas & steam combi is the gold standard, but as far as I know there are only commercial models. The electric and steam are pretty darn good, though. But small.

Sarah,

What brand/model do you have?

You don’t want what we have now. In our old house, we had a Gaggeneau, which was top of the line for plumbed in models at the time. I’m not up on what’s available now, but I’m sure there are more. Plumbed in is obviously better if you can do it

I am limited to an all-in-one range, and I want dual fuel. So far the only one I’ve found that also has steam is Miele. I have a Miele dishwasher and like it, but more than one option to choose from would be nice, so if anyone knows of others, please speak up.

Seems like an easy search but I didn’t click on any links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+fuel+range+with+steam+oven&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Thanks, yeah, I think the other issue is that some of them have it only in the larger sizes, which won’t fit into my space.

Yep, all pretty wide and expensive.