Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#1 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 18th, 2020, 1:17 pm

The first (well almost, Cuisinart had one that was discontinued) home countertop combi steam oven that doesn't cost a fortune is scheduled for shipping Sept 28th and pre-ordering is open. Was delayed for several years, in part due to Anova being acquired by Electrolux.

Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#2 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 18th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Scott Heimendinger (ex-Modernist Cuisine) discussing features from CES 2020:

Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3627
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#3 Post by Josh Grossman » August 18th, 2020, 1:23 pm

If you stick a Dutch oven in a regular oven, it mimics a steam oven. Works for my bread:

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#4 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:23 pm
If you stick a Dutch oven in a regular oven, it mimics a steam oven. Works for my bread:
True, but that only mimics a fraction of what combi ovens can do. Wider availability of affordable combi ovens is equivalent to what happened to sous vide cooking a few years ago. In a few years, you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3627
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#5 Post by Josh Grossman » August 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:23 pm
If you stick a Dutch oven in a regular oven, it mimics a steam oven. Works for my bread:
True, but that only mimics a fraction of what combi ovens can do. Wider availability of affordable combi ovens is equivalent to what happened to sous vide cooking a few years ago. In a few years, you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
Don't think so. I think I'll stick with my steamer and dutch oven. I thought it was a comedy/parody video when they made an omelette in the oven. I can't imagine why anyone would sacrifice counter space to this ugly thing? That said, I also don't own a microwave--but this looks like a microwave.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#6 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 18th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:23 pm
If you stick a Dutch oven in a regular oven, it mimics a steam oven. Works for my bread:
True, but that only mimics a fraction of what combi ovens can do. Wider availability of affordable combi ovens is equivalent to what happened to sous vide cooking a few years ago. In a few years, you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
Don't think so. I think I'll stick with my steamer and dutch oven. I thought it was a comedy/parody video when they made an omelette in the oven. I can't imagine why anyone would sacrifice counter space to this ugly thing? That said, I also don't own a microwave--but this looks like a microwave.
Maybe you'll be dead by then, and it won't matter that you live in the past. [swoon.gif]
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7632
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#7 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 18th, 2020, 8:23 pm

The Cuisinart one wasn’t very large. Looks like this will accommodate a 1/4 sheet pan.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3514
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#8 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 19th, 2020, 8:22 am

I don't know anything about this particular model, but I'm a huge fan of the combi steam oven. When we built our kitchen, the pertinent question for each piece of equipment was "Can it do something that nothing else can do nearly as well?" The steam convection oven passed this test with flying colors. Along with all the baking, steaming, low&slow cooking, etc. it is also the best reheater of leftovers there is. No, you wouldn't buy one just for that, but it's a big plus!
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5372
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#9 Post by George Hejna » August 19th, 2020, 11:38 am

We have been looking for a 2nd oven. This might be the perfect solution. Would love to stop misting bread when cooking. Among other things.

George

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32065
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#10 Post by c fu » August 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:23 pm
If you stick a Dutch oven in a regular oven, it mimics a steam oven. Works for my bread:
True, but that only mimics a fraction of what combi ovens can do. Wider availability of affordable combi ovens is equivalent to what happened to sous vide cooking a few years ago. In a few years, you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
Don't think so. I think I'll stick with my steamer and dutch oven. I thought it was a comedy/parody video when they made an omelette in the oven. I can't imagine why anyone would sacrifice counter space to this ugly thing? That said, I also don't own a microwave--but this looks like a microwave.
you're too young to be an old curmudgeon
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5930
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#11 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » August 19th, 2020, 12:14 pm

This might be a nice addition

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3627
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#12 Post by Josh Grossman » August 19th, 2020, 12:29 pm

c fu wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm


True, but that only mimics a fraction of what combi ovens can do. Wider availability of affordable combi ovens is equivalent to what happened to sous vide cooking a few years ago. In a few years, you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
Don't think so. I think I'll stick with my steamer and dutch oven. I thought it was a comedy/parody video when they made an omelette in the oven. I can't imagine why anyone would sacrifice counter space to this ugly thing? That said, I also don't own a microwave--but this looks like a microwave.
you're too young to be an old curmudgeon
Just seemed to me to be more astroturf marketing and less of a testimonial. No idea if Kevin is paid by Anova--but sure seemed like it.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#13 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 19th, 2020, 1:31 pm

A useful article on the science of steam ovens:

https://anovaculinary.com/water-physics-101/
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5961
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#14 Post by Siun o'Connell » August 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
... you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
A lot of “serious home chefs” don’t require or use a lot of fancy new options - just sayin.’ Use whatever you like or need to cook as you want, but let’s not make “serious” equal “expensive new tools”

Jason Crawford
Posts: 237
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#15 Post by Jason Crawford » August 19th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Just pre-ordered. Chicken wings will be first!

User avatar
Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5991
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Location: Naperville, IL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#16 Post by Chris Freemott » August 19th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Ordered
Hejna Gave me a heads up
My microwave died 3 mo ago. Have the perfect spot for this and reading Sarah’s raves about her combi and covering the Miele version for a while, I’m going to start here.

I have a six figure first floor gut rehab hopefully in the queue for next fall. If this works as advertised, it will seal the deal on a built in version.

The combi ovens are much more than a steam oven. This makes me very excited.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#17 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Siun o'Connell wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
... you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
A lot of “serious home chefs” don’t require or use a lot of fancy new options - just sayin.’ Use whatever you like or need to cook as you want, but let’s not make “serious” equal “expensive new tools”
Like serious wine lovers who don’t have a wine cellar?
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7632
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#18 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 19th, 2020, 7:17 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Siun o'Connell wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
... you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
A lot of “serious home chefs” don’t require or use a lot of fancy new options - just sayin.’ Use whatever you like or need to cook as you want, but let’s not make “serious” equal “expensive new tools”
Like serious wine lovers who don’t have a wine cellar?
I thought you were being a bit tongue in cheek? more razzing.

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3420
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#19 Post by Robert M yers » August 19th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Jason Crawford wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:19 pm
Just pre-ordered. Chicken wings will be first!
Where did you see how it cooks wings better? I can always use a new wing cooker!

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32065
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#20 Post by c fu » August 20th, 2020, 10:04 am

i'm hoping during black friday it drops below 500!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

J. Rock
Posts: 940
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#21 Post by J. Rock » August 20th, 2020, 10:43 am

How would you use a steam oven to make better wings? I love my steam oven, but I generally prefer my wings rubbed in olive oil and placed in the convection oven with 0% humidity. If there's a cool method for wings using the steam oven, I'd love to know it.

My favorite thing about my steam oven (though, it's hard to pick) is how it reheats leftovers. It's a great combination of efficient and very effective as it doesn't dry out food. I also love using the steam oven for sous vide, braising, cooking a lot of hard/soft boiled eggs at once, and for rice and grains. I haven't used the Anova combi steam oven or any countertop one, but if it's like mine, I highly recommend it.
J o r d a n

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#22 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 20th, 2020, 2:06 pm

J. Rock wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 10:43 am
How would you use a steam oven to make better wings? I love my steam oven, but I generally prefer my wings rubbed in olive oil and placed in the convection oven with 0% humidity. If there's a cool method for wings using the steam oven, I'd love to know it.

My favorite thing about my steam oven (though, it's hard to pick) is how it reheats leftovers. It's a great combination of efficient and very effective as it doesn't dry out food. I also love using the steam oven for sous vide, braising, cooking a lot of hard/soft boiled eggs at once, and for rice and grains. I haven't used the Anova combi steam oven or any countertop one, but if it's like mine, I highly recommend it.
I can't promise this is a good recipe, but it is from Scott Heimendinger (ex-Director of Applied Research at Modernist Cuisine) using this exact oven, so maybe...

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/9 ... IEEsZdDXvE
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

J. Rock
Posts: 940
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#23 Post by J. Rock » August 20th, 2020, 2:27 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 2:06 pm
J. Rock wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 10:43 am
How would you use a steam oven to make better wings? I love my steam oven, but I generally prefer my wings rubbed in olive oil and placed in the convection oven with 0% humidity. If there's a cool method for wings using the steam oven, I'd love to know it.

My favorite thing about my steam oven (though, it's hard to pick) is how it reheats leftovers. It's a great combination of efficient and very effective as it doesn't dry out food. I also love using the steam oven for sous vide, braising, cooking a lot of hard/soft boiled eggs at once, and for rice and grains. I haven't used the Anova combi steam oven or any countertop one, but if it's like mine, I highly recommend it.
I can't promise this is a good recipe, but it is from Scott Heimendinger (ex-Director of Applied Research at Modernist Cuisine) using this exact oven, so maybe...

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/9 ... IEEsZdDXvE
I've cooked them like this and it's very good, but out of laziness and/or lack of baking powder, I often skip the baking powder and just convection bake them and toss them in sauce after (and usually pair with a nice Riesling). I've never used steam however.
J o r d a n

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10701
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#24 Post by Scott Brunson » August 21st, 2020, 10:09 am

I’m very interested; I just need a place to put it.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#25 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » September 18th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Scott Heimendinger did a Instagram Live today about the new Anova Precision Oven (combi oven) that is worth watching if you are new to combi ovens

He cooked steaks 3 ways: 1) traditional sous vide in a bag in a water bath; 2) sous vide in the "Anoven" in a bag; and 3) sous vide in the "Anoven" without a bag. He got the same result each way.

He also did a sous vide omelet in the oven, and extolled its virtues for bread. Video is here (~40 min long):

Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
T. Williams
Posts: 386
Joined: December 11th, 2016, 4:27 am
Location: Media, PA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#26 Post by T. Williams » September 22nd, 2020, 10:38 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Siun o'Connell wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 3:23 pm
... you won't be able to call yourself a serious home chef without one.
A lot of “serious home chefs” don’t require or use a lot of fancy new options - just sayin.’ Use whatever you like or need to cook as you want, but let’s not make “serious” equal “expensive new tools”
Like serious wine lovers who don’t have a wine cellar?
I think the better analogy would be a serious wine lover who doesn't own 100 different corkscrews/gadgets/coravins to open wines. And yes, you can be very serious without gadgetry.

I type this while also looking into pre-ordering mine... [soap.gif]
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

https://www.instagram.com/twilliams_dad.chef.engineer/

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#27 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » September 22nd, 2020, 12:09 pm

T. Williams wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 10:38 am
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Like serious wine lovers who don’t have a wine cellar?
I think the better analogy would be a serious wine lover who doesn't own 100 different corkscrews/gadgets/coravins to open wines. And yes, you can be very serious without gadgetry.

I type this while also looking into pre-ordering mine... [soap.gif]
If people would just stop gifting us crappy cork-opening-thingybobies! pileon

Better hurry, I heard a few days ago there were only 15% left of the October (2nd) manufacturing run.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1795
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#28 Post by Brandon R » September 22nd, 2020, 12:20 pm

What's your commi$$ion rate on these things, Kevin? neener
B. Redman

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3969
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#29 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 22nd, 2020, 12:21 pm

I believe I read that Kenji (Serious Eats) has moved almost everything in his restaurant to combi oven. I am just not ready for another MAJOR appliance. At least my sous vide stick is easy to shove in the pantry when not in use.
//Cynic

User avatar
D Zurcher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 509
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 6:11 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#30 Post by D Zurcher » September 22nd, 2020, 12:52 pm

I looked at it a few weeks ago when there were plenty available for the Sept. ship date, but just procrastinated ordering. This thread reminded me to look again and I placed the order a couple of days ago. the Sept delivery is sold out. 15% left for the October delivery. I'm looking forward to getting it and figuring out how best to use it.
DanZ

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#31 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » September 22nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

Brandon R wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 12:20 pm
What's your commi$$ion rate on these things, Kevin? neener
I did get a thank you from Scott Heimendinger on YouTube. ¢¢¢
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#32 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 4th, 2020, 11:27 am

First review I've seen for the Anova Precision Oven (requires a subscription):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-bakin ... 1601816401

Positive, although not a super hardcore review.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#33 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 4th, 2020, 12:52 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:27 am
First review I've seen for the Anova Precision Oven (requires a subscription):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-bakin ... 1601816401

Positive, although not a super hardcore review.

No sub: https://apkmetro.com/from-baking-to-sou ... tchen-bff/
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5991
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Location: Naperville, IL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#34 Post by Chris Freemott » October 5th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Mine was delivered
haven't fired it up yet as I have work to do (damn employment!)

will report tonight.
Hejna got his too - he will likely beat me here.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#35 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 5th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 12:02 pm
Mine was delivered
haven't fired it up yet as I have work to do (damn employment!)

will report tonight.
Hejna got his too - he will likely beat me here.
Mine arrives tomorrow. [cheers.gif]
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Jason Crawford
Posts: 237
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#36 Post by Jason Crawford » October 5th, 2020, 5:26 pm

We have a whole chicken brining for tommorrow.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5372
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#37 Post by George Hejna » October 6th, 2020, 9:03 am

Made some donuts.... They turned out great. Doing omelette now... taking forever to set. Used cold eggs and milk. I think the recipe online is way off.

Like the oven, the size is good. It is quiet. The controls for the time and temp are a bit wonky. They increase decrease really fast if you hold down the button. (Minor flaw). Wireless connection was simple.

George

Jason Crawford
Posts: 237
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#38 Post by Jason Crawford » October 7th, 2020, 4:46 pm

The online recipes are wrong. The recipes on the app seem more correct. Look at the whole roasted chicken recipe and compare.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#39 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 7th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Has anyone had trouble connecting to the app/wifi?

I just spent >1 hr trying to connect my APO to the the Anova Oven app on my smartphone (iPhone 11 Pro running latest iOS 14.01).

I tried:
Turning off Bluetooth (suggested by app)
Both 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi
Turned off 5 Ghz
Changed wifi password (no spaces, and name of wifi also has no spaces)
Deleting Norton VPN from phone
Restarting phone
Restarting APO
Updating app
Reinstalled app several times (strangely app doesn't let me log out)
Settings>Anova Oven>Local Network: ON

Yes, I can get a wifi connection code from the APO, and I can enter it into the app, and it will find my wifi, but when I enter the wifi password, it fails to connect, says "We were not able to complete the connection process" and asks me to reboot, over and over and over again...
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13949
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#40 Post by J a y H a c k » October 8th, 2020, 5:40 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 10:09 am
I’m very interested; I just need a place to put it.
Tough choice . . . wife's coffee maker/coffee grinder vs. steam oven.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#41 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 8th, 2020, 7:12 am

In case this will help anyone else:

OK, I solved the connectivity problem in a kludgy way (will have to see if I will be able to get the intended non-kludgy way to work now that the firmware update is downloaded).

1. Trying the same approach as I previously tried on my iPhone but with my ancient iPad Mini 2 (iOS 12.4.8, since it can't run more recent iOSs) didn't work when trying to sign into my exciting Anova Oven account that I was using on my iPhone. It wouldn't let me sign in to my account, even if I entered my email address, and it kept trying to force me to "sign in with Apple" and hanging up there. Reinstalling didn't make any difference.

2. Getting desparate, I created a new Anova Oven account on my iPad and signed in with Facebook. However, this didn't work either when trying to log into my network (which happens to have no problems with my 2 MacBooks, iPhone, iPad, 2 Alexas, 2 Joules and a HP printer).

3. Going into totally kludgy workaround territory, I tried using my iPhone LTE connection as a wireless hotspot...AND FINALLY, the oven gave me the option of updating the firmware (1.0.1) and then finishing setting up!!!

Right now I'm using my iPhone wireless hotspot. I've no idea if I will be able to get it to work with my network, like it is supposed to do.
Given the years of trouble people have had with the Anova sous vide app, even after its update last year, I was worried about the Oven being a connected device and jumping on board before any reviews came out. However, Anova bragged about designing the Oven app "from the ground up", which gave me some confidence that the company might have turned over a new leaf.

This experience, wasting perhaps 3 hours of my time (and who knows how much more to come), is severely disappointing. Anova, you should seriously consider firing your entire connectivity group, or whomever you outsource the designs of this aspect of your products. After all these years, it's pretty clear they suck at their jobs. Which is sad for a company that claims to be pioneering the connected kitchens of the future.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 653
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 3:19 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#42 Post by Dave English » October 8th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Anova and simple connectivity in the same sentence... they have never been able to get connectivity right. Never.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5372
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#43 Post by George Hejna » October 8th, 2020, 4:31 pm

I had absolutely no issues with 2 different iPhone 11.

Anybody actually cook anything?

George

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10701
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#44 Post by Scott Brunson » October 8th, 2020, 5:08 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:40 am
Scott Brunson wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 10:09 am
I’m very interested; I just need a place to put it.
Tough choice . . . wife's coffee maker/coffee grinder vs. steam oven.
Looks like no steam oven for me pileon
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10670
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#45 Post by dcornutt » October 8th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Evidently, if you are a bread baker, this is a must have.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

User avatar
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16509
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Location: I'm a Napacat

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#46 Post by Linda Baehr » October 8th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Dave English wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Anova and simple connectivity in the same sentence... they have never been able to get connectivity right. Never.
The main reason I did not buy an Anova sous vide. I get fairly shitty reception at my place. No way was I going to tie a kitchen appliance to connectivity.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#47 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 8th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Dave English wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Anova and simple connectivity in the same sentence... they have never been able to get connectivity right. Never.
The main reason I did not buy an Anova sous vide. I get fairly shitty reception at my place. No way was I going to tie a kitchen appliance to connectivity.
To be fair, neither the Anova sous vide or the Anova oven requires you to use a smartphone (although it the latter case, it did want me to download a firmware update). Joule is the one that requires a smartphone (and I have 2 of those, and never a problem connecting lol).
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5372
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#48 Post by George Hejna » October 9th, 2020, 9:11 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Dave English wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Anova and simple connectivity in the same sentence... they have never been able to get connectivity right. Never.
The main reason I did not buy an Anova sous vide. I get fairly shitty reception at my place. No way was I going to tie a kitchen appliance to connectivity.
Yes. Absolutely no real need for WiFI connection. I have it connected but haven't used it yet.

George

User avatar
C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: December 22nd, 2009, 8:44 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#49 Post by C. Mc Cart » October 9th, 2020, 9:18 am

This looks really interesting. I like the size as it looks quite useable, but that also makes it a bit big for a countertop appliance.
Watched Kenji's unboxing video (I thought he was going to use it when I clicked to watch).
I'd really love to hear from some of you once you start using it, especially those who try some version of low/slow (or when you would have previously sous vide), then sear with it.
Chris

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1472
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

#50 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 9th, 2020, 10:49 am

C. Mc Cart wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 9:18 am
This looks really interesting. I like the size as it looks quite useable, but that also makes it a bit big for a countertop appliance.
Watched Kenji's unboxing video (I thought he was going to use it when I clicked to watch).
I'd really love to hear from some of you once you start using it, especially those who try some version of low/slow (or when you would have previously sous vide), then sear with it.
It's definitely bigger than I expected, but since I have no room no matter how big it is, I just have it sitting on top of the stove lol. It takes up as much space as my chamber vacuum (but with "bagless sous vide" in the APO, I guess I'll be using that a lot less). Plan to get a cart so I can roll it elsewhere when I'm not using it.
Attachments
IMG_3276.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”