Favorite Imported Italian Dried Pasta

We have been using the Rustichella brand for years and love it. Both Gentile and Mancini have been recommended. I’m wondering what other brands are enjoyed?

The Rare Wine Company brings in one that is incredible

I’ve been using Rummo this summer. Excellent, inexpensive product.

Following

Martelli, imported by Gustiamo. A local wine shop used to direct import this years ago and even though it costs quite a bit more now, I’ll order a case of maccheroni and spaghetti every few months. It has a distinct coarse texture and wheaty flavor that is like some idealized pasta from a dream. And it’s apparently very slow-food legit…long low temp dry times, old family business. I cracked up when my family walked into the Roscioli bakery in Rome (board favorite) and a shelf from the oven to the window was lined with yellow bags of Martelli.

Edit: I’ll also occasionally pick up some Benedetto Cavalieri spaghettoni locally because I dig the extra chew from those extra thick noodles. Also, I need to try the RWC tagliolini sometime that Mark recommends assuming it’s as good as the olive oil they import (I crack up everytime I see their cooking instructions, “don’t skimp on the butter, we recommend a quarter pound of butter for each 8.8 oz. bag of pasta”…Christ). But I do occasionally like the Rusticella tagliatelle in the various flavors as we can get that locally as well.

This:

Molino e Pastificio Ternetta

"Ternetta pasta noodles have a shape similar to linguini and a wide variety of cooking uses to make any pasta recipe a little heartier. Our Ternetta Pasta by Molino e Pastificio is pasta created the traditional way that produces noodles with a nutty taste and firm texture. They make pasta with two ingredients durum wheat semolina and water.

The durum comes from local farmers in the region and contain no additives or GMOs. It’s grinded on-site and transported to the pasta factory. There, pasta makers mix spring water sourced from nearby mountain ranges with the wheat. They dry the pasta for a week in the attics of the factory just as they did long ago. This gives each noodle the perfect amount of firmness in every bite.

This is the perfect pasta for pasta al pomodoro or any classic Italian recipe that calls for linguini pasta. You can also substitute this in for spaghetti in many dishes for a heartier take on any dish. It works well with both meat and tomato sauces as the sauce will cling to these noodles like no other pasta you’ve ever tried.

Molino e Pastificio began in 1911 in Poschiavo, Switzerland. The mill and pasta factory that houses their operations used to belong to a convent of nuns until the late 19th century. The Fisler family purchased the land and building and converted it into their now famous pasta company when there was a need to feed hungry railroad workers in the area. They’re now known around the world for their top pasta products made with healthy, raw ingredients from the region."

I like Setaro a lot (with thanks to Suzanne for telling me to try them).

marella (organic) from puglia
amazing stuff

Setaro and Faella are my 2 faves.
rarely eaten trying to stay lower carb.

Love this stuff.

Why does it have to be imported?

Sfoglini and Vera are both east coast pasta companies that check all the right boxes. Old world style bronze dies for extrusion, organic ingredients, durum semolina/water only on regular pasta, slow air drying times…

Sure they are a riper style with a little bit more extraction than the old world, but they also don’t have the strict rules to follow so you can end up with a wonderful and unique experience. Whoops! I forgot what product I was defending!

Seriously though, check out both of those companies for some pretty decent artisanal pastas. Bonus you are paying $4.50/lb instead of $9.99/lb. Double bonus you are reducing your carbon footprint by not wasting oil to put flour+water on a boat ride.

TW

[snort.gif]

Hi Tim,

I have local purveyors I purchase from. Thanks for those you mentioned, but, specifically, this query is for imported Italian pasta which is unique. The foot print thing is a bit silly though. How many products do you think qualify? BTW, I’m drinking a delicious Meinklang Mulatschak today instead of a wine in a riper style with a little bit more extraction.

Cheers champagne.gif

Tried many different brands over the years. Artisanal dried pasta makes a difference, for sure, but I get tired of paying too high a price. Maybe the best I’ve had is Vero Lucano, but pricey. I think Rustichella is solid and readily available in my local market so I use that more often than not. I have recently been using Semolina Artisanal Pasta in Pasadena, but I know that is not what you are asking.

I like their stuff, and not just the pasta.

Miss seeing you and the rest of the crew, hope all is well. Hoping for an EWG event some time in the near future.

I hope so too. My best to you and your family Tom.

Would it be Wine Berserkers if someone didn’t tell you your question was invalid and then provide an unsolicited opinion? newhere

TW

[smileyvault-ban.gif] [rofl.gif]

Il Mulino di Gragnano. Great texture and bite to it.