What kind of pepper do I have here?

Thin walled, wrinkly, lots of seeds, dry inside, heat somewhere between a Jalapeño and a Habanero. Was a mystery start at the nursery, plant is about 24” tall and fairly bushy.

1219F183-7A3F-453E-9686-63C33C00B748.jpeg
0B8A7163-B8C5-4EBF-B0B5-7C9EA79C40AD.jpeg

Oh, man, those countertops bring back memories of my childhood! White glazed tile, thick dark grout lines, you must be in SoCal in a house built in the late 80s!

They look like New Mexico chiles. Great when green (roasted fresh), also great in a different way when they turn red (best dried). If they were longer I would have said Italian hots.

Northern California, I did the tile myself in the early ‘90s. I was a single dad at the time and couldn’t afford something nicer. Now it would cost $7-$8k to redo them in quartz or granite but it’s on the radar.

3 Likes

Nice! I knew I had you pegged! Yeah, we want to redo our countertops too, but it’s hard to pay good money to redo something that’s still working fine… [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I chopped on up for my spaghetti sauce today. Seem like they would be great for chili

The tile replaced ‘60s Formica with e metal edge so it was an upgrade!

1 Like

I have the same peppers. Add to fresh tomato sauce for a bit of heat. Slice and put on tuna or hamburger sandwich along with lettuce and tomato.

And I have the same tiles for my kitchen counters. Good for that country look (no budget to upgrade). Spent $22K this year on installing/refinishing doug fir floors - that blew the renovation budget (plus the oriental rugs to fill in some spaces). Master bath is next! Those tile counters still work!

1 Like

The shape and heat sound like Aleppo peppers. I grew them a couple years back but didn’t get enough use from them to grow again.

1 Like

This is as good a guess as any. Keep in mind peppers are open pollinating so there is the potential for crosses, particularly with insects around.

1 Like

Any idea what this is? I didnt plant it and i think it came in with the Jalapeños I bought from the nursery. The top looks like a habanero but the fruit is bigger, both longer and wider, and more rounded on the bottom. I searched the internet and the only thing that might fit is a chocolate habanero.

1 Like

Looks like a cross-pollinated bell.

Definitely some habanero variety.

Mariachi?

Sounds like you were a victim of jalapeno-gate!

Definitely habanero of some kind. Will try for taste and heat soon.

1 Like

A hubba hubbanero!

Whatever pepper this is it has no heat. I wanted to try a few to be sure. Flavor is like a mild habanero. It has the same flavor profile but it’s like the volume has been turned down. Flavor volume down to 4 or 5 and heat volume down at zero.

That is highly unusual considering how it looks. Hard to say. Ever get a jalapeño that tasted like a green pepper? Weather and soil can matter. Probably a combination of genetics and all the above.

Those are grown in raised beds that I just put in this spring. That bed has jalapeños and poblanos all of which have been true to type. It is just this one pepper that is “odd”.