MISO ONIONS

Here comes a new recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi published in the GUARDIAN almost 2 weeks ago. The recipe got my attention, as it contains only 3 ingredients + water. Have we EVER seen an Ottolenghi recipe with 3 ingredients??!! haha

Anyway quite tasty, cheap and easy to make side dish. Serve it with roasted chicken or pork or with rice as a veggie dish.

As I have some leftover I will add some Thai chili as a counterpunch to the very sweet onions and serve it tonight with Gyoza filled with pork and kimchi.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=6059

F872E269-0E11-4C48-AA37-B63E8138F57F.jpeg
Stay healthy,
Martin

P.S.

Last but not least when you cook for 4-6 people the side dish makes you often trouble. But this side dish feeds 4-6 people and the oven makes the whole work.

And it is a good thing to show people that you can make a dish or side dish with very little money. Especially important during a pandemic and in times with uncertain economic future.

Interesting & simple. Will give this a try soon. Thanks.

Nice! I use miso butter with asparagus all the time (thanks Christine!) so I expect to like the flavor profile. And who doesn’t like long cooked onions?

Even better on Day 2. I added some fresh red Thai chilli to the leftover onions and re-heated it with a touch of water and heavy cream. The Thai chilli was a perfect counterpunch to the sweetness of the onions.

Also put the leftover rice in a non-stick pan and sauté until crisp.

Finally I made some Gyoza with pork&kimchi stuffing and added finally a touch of Teriyaki sauce.

Mmmmmh, perfect with a 2019 Keller „limestone“ Kabinett. Ein Maul voll Wein.

Prost,
Martin

Martin,

Not sure how to read the amount of onions.
Ingredients

1-1,2kg yellow onions
100g unsalted butter
100g White Miso Paste

Is that 1.5 kg or 1 to 1.2 kg?

Europe uses commas instead of points in decimals.

I know. But making sure it wasn’t ‘translated’ for us 'murcans.

1 to 1.2 kg

Thanks Martin!

Made this last night - big hit, even with the kids.

[thankyou.gif]

I assume it’s the sweetness of the Miso and onions which is attractive to kids