Moccamaster question re shower head

Just got the Moccamaster Select (KBGV), but I think this question applies to all the 10 cup models. Why does the ‘shower head’ only extend to the centre of filter holder and not all the way across?

The initial bloom is confined to half the coffee. Given the thought that has gone into these machines generally I assume there’s a reason. It seems to suggest the need for a little stir to make the bloom even across all the coffee, which somewhat defeats the purpose of an automatic machine.

(First pot, with a little stir, was very good but a little strong, I’m still calibrating grind / quantity of coffee, starting with 55 g/L and ‘perc’ setting on Breville smart grinder, which I think is a bit too fine. )

I think many people stir it for exactly that reason. All quality coffee makers have their pros and cons but this was the main reason I purchased the Bonavita. While it is not made nearly as well as the Moccamaster and likely will not last as long the shower head on it is pretty much spot on for quality drip coffee. Maybe somone much wiser than I am can speak to why some engineer designed it the way they did.

Water distribution has always been one of the criticisms of the Moccamaster. I don’t think the engineer designed for blooming before brewing.

-Al

I think if it extended, a paper filter would get more often get folded over, leading to watery coffee. Happens occasionally now if I’m not careful.