THE WORLD'S GREATEST ICE CUBES - Updated with Even More Marvel Heroes! :D

Greetings Berserkers, Foodies and True Believers,

Way, way back in 2014 I posted a small thread on some superhero ice cube molds I found. The thread can be found at: Best Ice Cube Trays Ever! :) - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers . I cringe now looking back at the unattractive cloudy brittle ice full of impurities that I would make before I discovered the beauty of clear icemaking which I posted about in my Ice-ology 101 thread. More importantly, however, I was a superhero ice cube mold noob, not realizing just how many different ones were out there.

Well thanks to nostalgia and the modern wonder of science called the Internet and its subsidiary Amazon which can and will sell you anything, I have vastly expanded my collection of superhero ice cube molds. And now, behold… The World’s Greatest Ice Cubes ™

So I’ve already had the Superman logo and Batman logo ice cube molds for a while now. This summer, I found and purchased the Spider-Man mask mold, the X-Men logo mold, and the Avengers logo mold. And the Wonder Woman ice cube tray has arrived. We may not have gotten to see Wonder Woman '84 this summer but this will do in the meantime. Meanwhile… I made a fresh batch of clear ice in my chest freezer with the molds and here are the frost covered results.

The title of my thread is a riff on The World’s Greatest Superheroes, a daily syndicated newspaper comic strip that ran from 1978 to 1985. Concurrently, the The Amazing Spider-Man strip ran from 1977 to 2019 and the The Incredible Hulk strip ran from 1978 to 1982. This was way back when newspapers were actually a thing.

Now this title refers to a strictly DC superheroes strip, so why am I riffing on it when I have both Marvel and DC ice cubes? Because around this same time period, DC and Marvel made history together with the first ever cross-company superhero team ups. 1976 saw the publication of Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man as they first fought each other and then teamed up against Lex Luthor and Doctor Octopus. 1981 saw the publication of the sequel Superman and Spider-Man in which they battled Doctor Doom and the Parasite.

Superman & Spider-Man.jpg
These would be followed by many more crossovers over the decades including Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk, The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans, and JLA/Avengers. And so in the spirit of fanboy inter-company dream superhero crossovers, I repeat history and bring our many DC and Marvel superheroes together to fight for justice and keep everyone’s cocktails properly chilled and diluted. Excelsior!

I have molds that make Death Stars

I wondered why you called them The World’s Greatest rather than The World’s Finest.

We’ve used those molds for jello/Knox blocks for you older people out there. Great for kid birthday parties.