Another Best Pizza List

The Daily Meal printed their top 101 Pizzas in America. Won’t say it’s accurate and undoubtedly will have left out many people’s favorites, but always fun to read thru these lists.

Nice to see two local favorites (separated by a couple blocks in Fishtown section of Philly): Pizzeria Beddia and Pizza Shackamoxin (who interestingly took over Beddia’s location after they moved out):

I can’t believe they left out the real Original Ray’s pizza - the one on 11th. [wink.gif]

Only one local place on the list (many deserving of consideration), and it’s one I’ve been to dozens of times over the years, yet I’ve never had their pizza - everyone knows that the thing to get at Frank & Helen’s Pizzeria, despite the name, is their famous broasted chicken, especially on Wednesdays when they offer a spicy version. I guess I need to go two days in a row one of these years so I can get myself to pass on the chicken and try the pie.

love pizza

I’ve never had Frank & Helen’s, pizza or chicken, but I’m fairly certain it doesn’t have a shot at best pizza in town. I’ll give it a run sometime soon to check it out though. Admittedly, we are a bit short on truly great pizza here, but for me Union Loafers is the best. Blackthorn deserves an honorable mention and is similar to Pequod’s IMO. Have not had Louie either though and some rave about it.

This list seems to favor esoteric choices over what is truly best.

One of the places on the list is just off the Bayonne Bridge in Staten Island so I’ll have to give it a try.

Santillos is right there on the NJ side in Elizabeth, cash and take out only

I don’t understand the love for Pequods in Chicago, but it seems to be a pizza people either love or hate.

Heading over to Beddia right now for pick-up!

I think Pepe is great for the clam pie . Tomato pies , not so much. Sally’s is better for those .

Stilll need to review the whole list.

I haven’t been to Sally’s since high school because they don’t open for lunch. I could never tell the difference between Pepe’s and Sally’s. Someone once told me there was no difference (same people running the show) but I doubt that. Other people swear up and down that Modern Pizza is better. I happily eat at any Pepe’s restaurant every chance I get.

Pepe’s is always a stopover when going to and coming back from Block Island. Clam pie!

Actually that was on a list that on from a link on this list, not from this list at all.

I’m one of those who thinks that Modern Apizza is better than Pepe’s or Sally’s.

Two thumbs and two big toes up from me for #47 on that list, BAR in New Haven - mashed potato and bacon pizza is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Modern APizza brings back memories…many nights there with an old GF circa 1989 who was going to B School at Yale.

My historical favorite that has never made any list: Reservoir Tavern, Boonton NJ. Old school as can be. A classic in my youth and still today…

https://therestavern.com

count me in the Pequods fan club. but im curious: is it PEQUODS style chicago pizza you dont get or chicago style in general?

Their version of it, or any of their pizzas. I don’t like the burnt, carmel crust. I don’t like their sauce, and I don’t like any of their crusts.

thats fair for sure. to be honest, I typically go for Gino’s East when i’m in chicago, not Pequods.

I’m squarely in the Lou Malnati’s camp but I haven’t tried Peqouds. One of my buddies loves it. There are several Chicago places I hate like Giordanos.

Why the Giordano’s hate?

I haven’t lived in Chicago in many years and have tried shipments from:

Ginos East - a thick, doughy undercrust with minimal cheese and meats

Eduardo’s - half assed in every way, too doughy, bland

Giordano’s - a “Cheese bomb” but better than the other two

Pequods doesn’t ship. Any others worth a try?

I can’t stand the sauce or the crust at Giordanos. But other than that, it’s great. :joy:

Gino’s East has a ton of meat. They do the sausage patty (similar to Lou’s) so there’s about an inch of sausage covering the entire pie.