Truffles 2020

Any early word on the truffle season for 2020.

I know in the current circumstances it may seem a little perverse to indulge in truffles, but my wife adores them, and with her birthday coming up i figure at least i could cook her some dishes with truffles!

Bump… anyone?

Second truffle dish of the season today. Fresh from Alba a few days ago no idea the pricing but the dishes had a €10 supplement
D5C635D6-E0EA-47C7-A90A-99FBFD3795CA.jpeg
35514B49-0B77-4066-BE91-25EE28592938.jpeg

I picked up some black truffles on Saturday that came in from Umbria, and they were nice. Very good aromatics and flavour for early in the season. $2/g CAD (~$1.50USD/g). Not bad for retail at a place that’s within walking distance from my condo. Will talk more with them to see how frequently they’ll be getting them, but I believe there will be weekly deliveries. There are other options for larger quantities locally as well.

Soft-scrambled eggs and tagliolini were orders of the day.

Black truffle from Alba very nice as well! :drooling_face:

pricing so far this season is up over 2019.
I am seeing white truffles trading between $140-$175.00 per ounce for medium size for week of 10/20.

Just bought a couple of ounces, $140 per ounce through a restaurant contact. Far and away the best I have come across since I was in Alba. If this is typical, it is going to be a good harvest.

Cooking for a crowd, so slumming it with burgundy truffles this weekend.

That said when I ordered 4oz of truffles from Urbani I was expecting 4-6 of them… not just one!
A78A13F7-E2C1-43E3-A07A-AC5BD6C1FF77.jpeg

That’s a giant puffball painted black!

I’ve enjoyed coddled egg with truffle three mornings in a row (and counting). Things ain’t so bad in these here slums :sweat_smile:.

Any updates? Quality? Coupon codes? Seems like sabatini a few dollars less than urbani right now (though i don’t know where shipping shakes out). Also for a first-time truffle orderer, if the plan is maybe one dinner for 2 with a little left for some eggs, is 1 oz enough?

This is exactly what we do, pasta one night and eggs the next day. 1 oz could make it it I’d guess if you go lite, 1 & 1/2 would be perfect and generous enough so we always go for 2oz because we like some eggs with our truffles.

Bought a white truffle from a gourmet food shop near me over the weekend and it was excellent. I got to choose from four in the size range I wanted; one was clearly more fragrant than the others, and two were not so great.

The one that I took home lived up to its promise. One of the best truffles I’ve had and sublime over a soft scramble. I’m tempted to get another one in a few weeks. It was $180/oz which is more than Sabatino when they’re running a promotion, but it’s well worth it to be able to choose one in person.

Had a great 1oz from regalis, they have 15% off first time purchase and free shipping over $250. Filled out the order with some nice cheeses, the one item with reasonable prices.

Our local neighborhood market had these on their annual sale (from Urbani). Been buying yearly and got a piece sufficient for my eggs, home-made pasta and some vanilla ice cream, as am the only one genuinely enthused by these at home.

Have an ‘01 Brunello and ‘01 Burgundy (red) standing up to pair with.

A890DBD5-9D7D-4320-BB9C-69E78E4F3194.jpeg

I grabbed a 1oz Alba from Regalis this week and took advantage of the same 15% offer by adding 4oz Burgundy truffles for another $70 (total waste of money). The Alba truffle was excellent quality. The best bites we had with it were uni scrambled eggs (Gordon Ramsay masterclass recipe) and a sushi bite where we topped scallop nigiri with uni and grated white truffle. It was wasted on fresh pasta (I have underwhelmed by that combo even in Piedmont and at Marea in NYC).

Most of their truffles are sourced from other parts of Italy and Eastern Europe so calling it an Alba truffle is stretching the imagination.

Good to know. Thanks!

Sabatino 30% off!

Is it just lax labelling laws or how are they allowed to sell it as Alban truffles then?
or lack of enforcement? basically i can sell a rock from my front yard as anything i want provided someone pays for it?