CHEESY CAULIFLOWER

Cauliflower is one of the trendy vegetables of the last years due to new cooking methods like roasting in the oven or adding exotic spices like Raz-el-hanout. In my childhood in the 70s cauliflower was rather boring and often overcooked.

I came across this recipe at my weekly newspaper Die Zeit from Hamburg. In the magazine is every week a recipe by Elisabeth Raether, casual and delicious recipes. This recipe is clearly not modern, rather from the 80s, but comforting. Perfect for autumn.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=6203

P.S. I would not recommend to boil the cauliflower in water first which is often made in the past. Also don’t make a Béchamel sauce with it which is also often made in the past.

The steaming in a little bit cream for 10-15min has the effect that the cauliflower is soft and firm at the same time, so it will not be overcooked. And with the roasting you will get rich extra cauliflower flavors and crunchy texture by the breadcrumbs.

That does look good. My wife does a variation of it by basically making cauliflower mac n cheese in the oven. Cauliflower is an awesome vegetable to eat.

Good dish for white truffles.

For comfort cauliflower I think Mornay sauce takes a lot of beating.

This does look good though.

My wife makes Buffalo Hot Cauliflower and it’s kick ass.

Good idea, sounds tasty.

Sauce Mornay is based on Béchamel. I am not a fan, as it reminds me on my childhood. Every sauce based on flour or Mondamin, horrible.

P.S.

also tasty on Day 2. Even my wife, a cauliflower-hater, asked me whether there is something left? [highfive.gif]

Also useful for the upcoming lockdown. Cheap, easy to make and comforting.