Favorite food gifts?

Vendors in general or specific items? Looking to branch out from my usual holiday gift souces…

I love Zingerman’s in Ann Arbor.

Lots of gift ideas. They make wonderful cheeses and breads, as well as pastries. They also have food clubs and a variety of pantry essentials (excellent variety of olive oils and vinegars).

If you’re ever in Ann Arbor, it’s a must visit!

If I know the person doesn’t know about it, I love gifting people Maldon flaky salt and introducing them to it. I usually pair it with something else food related. It’s simple, inexpensive, and people end up loving it.

The Spice House in Chicago puts together some wonderful gift boxes. Really great spices and some unexpected collections.

Splash out = Vosges Chocolates Advent Calendar. 2022 Gourmet Chocolate Advent Calendar | Vosges Chocolate – Vosges Haut-Chocolat

More chocolate but always super well received - any of the pastries from L A Burdick Chocolate - all are superb and the best gift is a pair of their hot chocolate cups and one or more of their amazing cocoas - https://www.burdickchocolate.com/ and https://www.burdickchocolate.com/cup-and-saucer-set-dark I often send one of their little wood boxes with mice or penguins too. (I used to live just up the road from the original Burdick’s and we would stop in for hot chocolate so often … they have remained amazing)

Italian:
Eataly gift basket
Gustiamo (Bronx NY)

Chefshop.com
Salts, oils etc.

Multiple items from Jacobsen Salt Co. In particular the salty caramels and salty licorice.

Medjool Dates !

Russ and Daughters
Neuhaus

I’m not familiar with this company, but their chocolates are beautiful and sound delicious! I’m definitely going to send out some of their holiday crates.
I love Vosges, as well.

A couple years ago someone gifted me a bottle of craft/artisan Worcestershire sauce, I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. It sat in the pantry for months until I finally opened it-it was absolutely phenomenal, unlike anything I’ve ever had, an epiphany.
Highly recommend seeking some for gifting and using purposes.

How do you use it? I’m asking as someone who was also gifted artisan Worcestershire sauce. Seems like it should be a finishing item, rather than an ingredient in a marinade.

That’s how I use it, but I also mix my own “proprietary steak sauces” using it as the base/main ingredient. At a certain dim sum place in Dallas they use Worcester as a dipping sauce for this beef ball thing-it would be really good for that.
Here tis
AE8DB7FC-754E-41E0-B057-FF0C34A065F6.jpeg

Splash a few drops on top of cheese on toast. Can also give depth to a cheese sauce.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen.

Barry, after ordering there for years, for some reason I haven’t gotten emails from them lately, and you made me realize it is time to order a whole Citeaux along with some other fresh raw milk cheeses. Service there is great, and I always feel as though I’m getting away with something naughty when the package arrives.

I just sent the holiday soiree collection from Jeni’s to the staff at one of the companies that I work with.
Fabulous ice cream, if you’ve never had it.

https://shop.jenis.com/holiday-collections/

Single Bean chocolate bars. This takes fancy chocolate to a whole new level.

Askinosie and Dandelion are my two favorites.

Note - this is a slippery slope if you are into fine wine you will quickly get sucked into the world of fine chocolate. You’ve been warned.

Just ordered a selection of Momofuku salts and soy sauce plus David Chang’s book from Momofuku … should be well received by my crew.

Hi Abbie! Burdick’s chocolates are really lovely and they tend to be not too sweet but more focused on showing off the chocolate flavors. They also pack everything so nicely and really take care to make it special. the wooden boxes with those big ribbons made even a small selection quite nice as a gift. Their chocolate cake is also a wonderful birthday gift to someone far away.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’ve taken a couple of these suggestions already (Fromages, Dandelion) and will likely take more!