Suggestions for good red wine vinegar

I’ve been a huge fan of Martin Pouret’s vinegars for some time, especially their red wine vinegar, which is like a pale and delicate but highly complex Jura or Burgundy alter-ego to something more big and robust. When I found out four years ago that the US importer would stop carrying the brand, I bought 5L food service jugs. But these are about gone, and I need to find an alternative. Does anyone have suggestions for artisanal, traditionally-produced vinegars like this that aren’t heavy like a Balsamic? Bonus points for something with a good story like Martin Pouret’s, organic, and availability in larger sizes, since I learned from this that vinegar keeps nicely for years so why not buy in bulk instead of $20 glass bottles.

can’t find 5 liter jugs but Pouret is available in 500 ml bottles via an internet search.

1 Like

Generic suggestion-Pomegranate vinegar.

Velveta Sherry Vinegar from Nola on Berserker Day … delish!

I like FINI barrel aged red wine vinegar.

1 Like

Alan got me to go do another search and I found someone bringing this in on the west coast at fair pricing. Everyone I’ve asked on the east coast is working off of limited old stock with 250ml bottles. Appreciate the other suggestions as well, good vinegar has become an essential ingredient for us, and it annoys me to buy a random $20-30 bottle without any recommendation that I don’t like or use that sits in the cupboard :slight_smile:.

But I’m a little surprised that someone here hasn’t told me I need to be making my own from decent Bourgogne rouge :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

This
Super acidic

The Balsamic is pretty good too for the $

You don’t find it a bit cheesy?

NB - this is not a comment on Nola’s excellent product but rather a suggestion to search for Veleta rather than Velveta [cheers.gif]

cheesehead

The Veleta Sherry Vinegar is primo!

I anticipate a Berserkers Day order with some sherry vinegar (olive oil too, this is the time of year to start buying the new harvest oil).

SMH Veleta!!!

Nola has a new pallet of Veleta Sherry Vinegar coming in the next few weeks along with a fresh supply of seafood goodies!!!

2 Likes

Martin Pouret red wine vinegar 750s in stock now at Simply Gourmand Martin-Pouret Orléans Red Wine Vinegar 75cl | Simply Gourmand

Man, how I love this.

My case of 12 arrived last week after getting the email it was back in stock :grinning:. Going through about a case a year. When the previous importer closed this out, I got two 5L food service jugs for next to nothing and just kept refilling my last bottle over a few years.

1 Like