Au jus from homemade beef stock?

Hello, Epicurean Experts. We’re doing a whole prime rib for Christmas, but we’re doing it in the Traeger which would make drippings difficult. Some of us would like to have some jus as an option. I made a great looking batch of beef stock in the pressure cooker. How would you amend homemade stock to be used as au jus to accompany a slice of prime rib? I was thinking a little red wine, perhaps some herbs of some sort, reduce considerably…adjust seasoning? I’ve seen versions with Worcestershire, soy sauce, fish sauce, etc. Anyone have any recipes, techniques, or ideas?

Kenji’s take is my go to

Thanks, Stephen, that looks like a great recipe. However, that’s using the roasting beef as a starter for the jus and we won’t have that luxury. Maybe some red wine with a bay leaf, reduce, add stock, and reduce again. Any other ideas?

Brandon,

I wouldn’t reduce it too much as you want it less gravy-like and more jus-y like. I’d add a little beef better than bouillon to the stock as well, even maybe simmer with some caramelized onions and then strain before serving. Red wine and bay leaf, too. I’m doing the same thing for prime rib dips with the leftovers on Dec. 26 and that’s how I’ll make the jus.

Cheers!

I realize that; was thinking you could just substitute your existing stock for the missing roast beef juices. Any combo of mirepoix, red wine, and herbs like bay leaf or rosemary will work to enhance the stock.

Gotcha, Stephen, thanks. Thanks, Jared!

You could add some veal demi if you want some additional richness.

Brown the rib on the stove before adding it to the grill. Then you get the fond and deglaze with the beef stock.

Ended up reducing the stock on its own for a bit. In another pan, I sautéed some shallot in a little bit of rendered fat from the roast. I then added about 1/2 cup red wine (I think it was a sub-$10 Washington Cab blend that was open), reduced it, and then added the stock. Then, I reduced a bit more and it was great. I decided not to thicken it at all, so it wasn’t very viscous. It could’ve used a bit more tightening, but the flavor was great.

That’s the basic technique. All kinds of variations possible. Some fresh herbs, touch of Dijon, mushrooms (even dried and the soaking juice is a good alternative when beef stock isn’t available ). Sounds like you wanted beef flavour as opposed to wine reduction. Glad it turned out well.

Save beef bones and gristle in the freezer.
When the batch is sufficiently large, oven-roast at medium heat for one hour, along with some carrots, onions, celery, and garlic. Then, throw all into a pot of slow-simmering water, seasoned with salt and whole peppercorns. After another hour, extract and mash the vegetable solids, and add back to pot. Simmer another hour. Refrigerate overnight, to leach out the gelatin. Remove bones and solidified fat. Portion and freeze.

Including some oxtails at the roasting stage also helps.

Good procedure for making stock, Victor, certainly. I was asking about a stage when I have already made the stock and wanted to make something more akin to au jus from roast drippings that weren’t readily available.

Advance planning.

All great suggestions, I usually add some butter as well.