Ricotta/mushroom pasta pairing?

I’m making a ricotta and parm-filled pasta in a mixed mushroom, lemon, and butter sauce.

We have a red-heavy cellar - would a Pinot be light enough for the delicate ricotta while still complementing the mushrooms? Other suggestions?

Could always cop out and pick a dry Riesling. [truce.gif]

Pinot, if you have to go with a red.

I’d rather a Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, or a white that leans a bit oxidative, such as Musar’s white or an old-school Rioja.

1 Like

How much lemon? What mushrooms, and fresh or dried or a mix? Is there any stock in the sauce?

“a ricotta and parm-filled pasta in a mixed mushroom, lemon, and butter sauce” covers a lot of ground.

Rose.

1 Like

Yeah, fair but I’m still kind of winging it other than making the pasta this morning. Fresh mushrooms and a bit of chicken stock. I may throw a bit of preserved lemon in the sauce at the end.

The lemon is the part that makes it challenging IMO.

Tastes good but can be a wine killer.

Especially preserved lemon. Which I love, but makes red wine tough sledding.

About the only red wine I can think of that would go are some of the super high acid pinots – like Teutonic from Oregon, or Enderle and Moll. Well, there have been a couple of years when Eric Texier’s Brezeme syrah had the acid.

Is rose Champagne close enough to red?

Franciacorta

I like the flat rose idea but add bubbles - blanc de noir or rose.

Unlimited bread sticks and salad.

Oh, wait, that is someplace else…

I once received a $50 Olive Garden discount and just went to the bar and got a bottle of wine.

Thanks for the recs! I tried to find the highest acidity PN I had in my limited cellar. I went with a 2019 Forge Vineyards Leidenfrost Pinot. This was my first red from the Finger Lakes and I’m a big fan of Forge’s dry rieslings. Dominant tart cherry/cranberry and bretty barnyard funk flavors. Almost reminded me of a sour Flemish red ale.

Strange pairing but the food was great, so I can’t complain.