My favorite recipe direction - - - sprinkle pork roast with Kosher salt

Just one of those days. Sometimes silly posts are an important part of a healthy lifestyle.

Please do not tell me why the instruction makes sense in light of the iodine in “regular” salt.

There’s a character in a series of children’s books named Amelia Bedelia, who, IIRC, upon being told to “dress the chicken,” puts a little shirt and trousers on it. I now can’t read any similar direction without thinking of that, and it always makes me smile.

Next direction: braise pork roast in cream.

Then bread with matzoh meal.

Those of you who have attended Berserkerfests at my house are familiar with my specialty - the Oxymoron Sandwich. Smoked Pulled Pork on a Challah Roll.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine who was born in Brazil and whose family moved to the Portuguese community in Rhode Island when she was about 6 years old. She is about 55 years old and her mother still barely speaks English. My friend said that every time someone talks about putting dressing on a salad, she does a double take even though she has spoken unaccented English for 40 years and wonders why salad should wear clothing.

A rabbi desperately wanted to eat pork, so drove 50 miles to a restaurant to be sure that nobody from his congregation would see him. He orders the suckling pig, the whole shebang with brittle crisp skin and an apple in its mouth.

Just as the pig arrived and is put on the table, the head of the congregation comes in.

“Rabbi, what are you doing?”

“I came here and ordered an apple and look how they serve it”

1 Like