BEETROOT QUICHE with walnuts and goat cheese

After soo much meat over the holidays and the last days I really enjoyed to make this beetroot quiche.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=6381

1 Like

That looks really interesting Martin.
Another of your recipes I need to try for myself.

(ps. I thought her poem and the reading were massive!)

I am still touched by her poem&performance. Here is a lovely interview with her yesterday on CNN. What a humble, wise and nice person and she is only 22, unbelievable.

My wife was skeptical when I told her about it, but she likes roasted beets, and walnuts, and she likes quiche, and goat cheese so I don’t understand why. Now I want to make it even more. :slight_smile:

Looks good. I roasted some beets a few days ago and have leftovers, along with a log of goat cheese. I will substitute for the walnuts because my wife is slightly allergic (but not to other tree nuts). Maybe I will try it tomorrow because it should be soft and my wife just had oral surgery.

Looks incredible, beets are consistently one of the most underrated ingredients where I reside. Send me into the wild with a never-ending pot of borscht and I’ll still be smiling on day 364. Perhaps best not to be within smelling range of other though…

To paraphrase the life coach dwight schrute

“The first rule in roadside beet sales is to place the most attractive beets on top. The kind of beets that make you pull the car over and say “wow I need this beet right now.” Those are your money beets”

1 Like

I made this today. I had to leave out the walnuts due to my wife’s allergy. It is good, and I liked it because I really like beats, but I think it is a bit out of balance. I would double the eggs and cream and reduce the beets by a corresponding amount. A bit more custard and a bit less beets sitting alone at the bottom.

Out of balance? Not a borsch fan, I gather.

-Al

I unterstand that, but fair to say the walnuts give a nice flavor and textur…crunch.

Yes, 1 more egg would be good. But more I doubt.

After grating warm roasted beets for the first time I coined a new old world term for them, “plum de terre”.
The walnuts seem like an important part of the dish. I would want a good substitute if not using them.
I started with 700gm of beets and used 4 eggs with 350ml (1 1/2 cups) half and half.
I also pre-baked the crust before adding the ingredients.
The finished product was very pretty and quite tasty. The lemon added a nice flavor note.

My wife says she would eat it again but would never order it in a restaurant.
I enjoyed it and I’m happy to eat the rest for lunch and dinner today.
Thank you Martin.

1 Like

I just hate it when people leave out an ingredient and then complain. [smileyvault-ban.gif] I would have loved to include the walnuts and that would have made a difference, but SWIMBO would have nothing of it. I think it is a matter of personal taste. I just like more egg/cream/custard when I make such things. I also like beets and this gave me a good excuse to eat some without making what we used to refer to as Harvard Beets - Beets with a sweet sugar sauce. As a newly minted diabetic, that’s out of the question, so this recipe gives me a chance to have something other than field green, beet and goat cheese salad.

I have never made borscht. I like Flaishidik (meat) borscht. I think I’ll try that.

[rofl.gif]

YES Chris, to pre-cook the crust is good, normally I also do it. But I was a Bit lazy that day.

My Russian colleague’s borshch recipe was easy to remember: “Just you use everything that you have, only it’s necessary two things, beets and potatoes”.

-Al