Super Bowl Food

Saw a thread in Wine Talk about SB wine. But, what about your food plans?

We are doing homemade pizzas and wings. Trying the convection oven for the wings.

Anyone have tips on oven wings?

Use a cooling rack to elevate the wings in the oven. Their hovering power has diminished.

I bought a box of frozen Hebrew National pigs in blanket. It’s loaded with fat, calories, and an unhealthy amount of sodium. Gonna be a fun night. Since my wife let me buy this, I’m also ordering nachos from a local Mexican restaurant. [winner.gif]

Real pork?

I’ve been using this recipe for chicken wings a few years now. Simple and easy. I make a very large batch and leave them in the marinate and then just keep cooking them in batches as the the need arises throughout the evening. Plus one on Victor’s suggestion on using a cooking rack. Essential for crispy wings

Homemade pigs in a blanket
Nachos
Cauliflower Buffalo “wings”
Guacamole
Pan con Tomate

Steam the wings first.

My plan for the wings is similar to what Kenji wrote on serious eats. Trim to drumettes, dry, let sit in refrigerator for a few hours, toss with baking powder and seasoning. Bake for 30 minutes in convection oven on rack set in a sheet. Flip and bake another 30 minutes. Then sauce after done baking.

Dry brining now. Oven fry and sauce later. Nachos too
20210207_110642.jpg

I’ve got my wings in the sous vide right now. Will flash fry them later. That’s my second favorite preparation. I made them once in a Korean style from an ATK recipe once. Lots of work but they were amazing.

Smoking wings w applewood @250 then crisping in the oven at 450 for a few minutes.
They have been dry brining in creole rub and baking powder so it doesn’t take long.
Serving w a Crystal Buffalo sauce with and without ranch mixed in.

KENJI KENJI KENJI …

Just dry them, and then drench them in some baking powder and salt overnight. Then, bake.

Pigs in a blanket
Poke
Toasted ravioli

Probably sip on some tequila - Avion 44

Baby Backs and wings. Usually do the wings in our wood fired oven, but I didn’t want to fuss with the fire. These weren’t anything like them and we won’t cook them this way again.
Baby backs are still cooking.
46263B1F-6405-41C5-8DAE-1658E5D0EF34.jpeg
74D1D93A-6DFF-4E8D-AB9F-41096C2249E0.jpeg

Pregame Pizza:
Detroit Style w/ hot sausage, spinach, kalamata olives, & mushrooms
224BF0E5-554F-4693-B7F0-1B3C5290958E.jpeg
Veggie thin crust w/ EVOO garlic sauce
156D24E1-6CB8-48E6-9B67-9FEB3233A783.jpeg

Wings turned out amazing. Pizza the worst I’ve ever made. Win some. Lose some.

One of my best poutine gravies tonight.

I did wings as they were a request. I brined in salt brown sugar and baking powder. Then drained coated in BBQ rub a little olive oil for a couple of hours. On a rack then dusted with rice flour and a quick spray of olive oil. 425 oven then tossed with Franks and butter. These really rivaled the best local fried wings.
Had 420 nachos, guac, veggie spring rolls and stuffed mushrooms as well.

I’m following Kenji’s basic concept (except I like a little light spice along with the salt), but smoking them for like 90 minutes prior to baking adds a layer of flavor that I just can’t see giving up.

champagne.gif Read so fast that I didn’t actually read your post. champagne.gif