POTATO SALAD de luxe

I served a lukewarm potato salad to the Ibérico Secreto. It turned out very nice, as the tarragon mustard gives a very elegant touch to the potato salad. It’s an Austrian potato salad by the food-journalist Tobias Müller. The Austrians make it a little bit different, as we don’t make the sauce in a pan. But in Germany we also have very different versions in the south and north. In the south always with vinegar&oil&broth and in the north of Germany with mayo.

Ingredients

1 kg fingerling potatoes

1 onion, chopped

250ml chicken broth/stock

8 tbsp sunflower or peanut oil

5 tbsp apple vinegar

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1 tsp tarragon mustard

2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

black pepper

1 bunch chives, chopped

Preparation

1. Steam the potatoes for 25min or cook in a bit water with salt for 25min. I prefer steaming.

IMG_5082.jpg

2. Shortly before the potatoes are ready make the sauce. Heat the oil in a sauteuse on medium to high heat and add onion. Cook for 2min., but don’t let the onions get dark.

IMG_5085.jpg

1. Turn off the heat. Then add vinegar and stock. Also add mustard, salt, sugar and pepper. Whisk everything.

IMG_5087.jpg

1. Then chopp the potatoes in chunks or slices with skin if the skin is good. Put in a salad bowl.

IMG_5083.jpg

1. Then add 3/4 of the hot sauce to the potatoes. Let the potatoes rest for 30min with lid

IMG_5088.jpg

1. After 30min add the rest of the sauce to the potatoes and combine. Finally drizzle chopped chives on top and serve lukewarm. ENJOY

IMG_5093.jpg

P.S. next time I will chopp the onion in little cubes

1 Like

P.S. the leftover was very tasty on Day 2

Here in the south, we call any non Mayo based potato salad “German” potato salad. Most start off oil and vinegar based dressings added to warm potatoes.
Here in my little corner of Alabama we have a large German population. Before our main crop became beach condos and golf courses. We grew more potatoes than Idaho.

WOW

Here is the original Kartoffelsalat from the south of Germany. Thin slices and first broth, then vinegar&mustard and finally oil.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=4879

P.S.

BTW, in the good old days in the south of Germany the bride-to-be had to cook a Kartoffelsalat for the mother-in-law and based on her performance and the taste of it the mother-in-law decided whether she is good enough for her son.

So you see, a Kartoffelsalat is a serious thing. [wink.gif]

1 Like

I’ll be doing a version tomorrow which is nearly identical to your OP, Martin.

I wonder if most sons have different criteria for choosing :wink:

Yours is essentially my recipe, except I’ve never used the broth, which is an interesting addition. I remember being in Berlin for a conference about 2003, and the potato salad provided by the caterer for a user/customer event was wonderful.

Different times, different priorities.

You will find out that the broth makes the difference. Thinly slice the hot potatoes and add the broth. Let it rest for 15-30min. Then add vinegar&mustard mix and also chopped red onion. And really at the end you add the sunflower oil. Finally drizzle with chopped chives.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=4879

1 Like

Served with Snake River Farms hot dogs from the Weber kettle.
I think I will try a little less broth next time, but still wonderful.
I used a Vidalia Onion since they are plentiful right now.

Thanks Martin—great stuff!

Yes Scott, I thought so too. A little bit too much liquid. On the other hand, I had a sauce as I served it with guineafowl breast.