Looking for an olive oil recommendation

Hey all,
I am looking for your favorite olive oil high in Oleocanthal.
Much thanks
Jordan

Olive oil is mostly like wine, the more specific you can tell where it’s from, the better. It ages the opposite of wine though and you want to make sure you get something from the 2020 harvest. There is better stuff than Costco–but their stuff from California and Tuscany is a great value. Looks like this but from 2020 harvest:

For what it’s worth, wineries in prime growing areas like Napa (and others around the world) tend to make incredible fresh cold pressed EVOO. A few references are Abreu and Eisele and they are killer- can’t get enough.

Olive oil like wine have different flavor profiles, some more subtle while others are more pungent and/or spicy. Some have more grassy notes- just like wine it’s fun and yummy to taste as many high quality options as you can.

Good discussion on Olive Oil here:

I’ve honestly never seen olive oil discussed as to levels of oleocanthal, so not sure how to help. I had to look it up.

I have purchased Olive oils from The Rare Wine Company every year when they have an offer. The olive oils offered have always been fresh and outstanding !!

Agreed - we have a batch coming today, in fact.

When did the offer go out Sarah? I’ve been buying for like 25 years and didn’t get the email two years ago…someone there thoughtfully wrote “we noticed you haven’t placed your order yet did you receive the email”. Got the email last year (looks like 3/21) but nothing yet this year other than the nuovo offer in December.

Shipping olive oil, eh. I wonder if the same approach works for other foods. cheesehead

If you have not tried it, we like Nola’s olive oil from Spain. Extra Virgin Olive Oil | Gourmets of Spain

1 Like

While I have no idea of how to track Oleocanthal content I also like Nola’s (Veleta) olive oil.

Back in the days when I stored wine at Chelsea Wine Vault I would taste the free samples at Buon Italia and buy based on that. Unfortunately I never wrote down the names of the ones I liked.

I’m not sure exactly when - Jonathan does the olive oil orders from Rare Wine Co. and he can’t recall exactly. He does remember, though, that the offer was a while ago and included the caveat that shipping would be delayed on this batch.

1 Like

Thanks for checking Sarah. RWC just told me they are waiting for a container in early April. You guys must be “A list” customers :slight_smile:, I only buy 12 each year from the regular offer these days, and no wine. Our local Italian craft wine importer who brings in Vallana (and Falkenstein) will get a batch of good Tuscan oils soon, so not quite as wedded to RWC for good oil as several years ago.

What do you mean? [whistle.gif] newhere

Another vote for Veleta here.

Veleta here

Waiting for mine! [cheers.gif]

Veleta, si.

We go through a LOT of olive oil. I go to a Persian grocery in Lexington and buy 3L bottles of Lebanese olive oil. The brand I have in the house now is “Lebanon Valley”, but everything I’ve bought at that grocery has been excellent. It’s as good as most pricey boutique oils, but comes at a fraction of the cost. I’ll never buy California oil again.

It looks like the original RWC offer was December 9th and sold out in about a day. I dont know if there was an email (can’t find one), but if you went to the sold out offer it told you about the follow-up (different lots that wouldnt ship until jan/feb). I ordered that December 18th and received it yesterday. It was cheaper than the original offer because no air freight. I think that offer was around for a couple weeks.

1 Like