Dutch Oven Hunter

Bed, Bath and Beyond. Small, two quart, Le Cruset style Dutch Oven. Th2 two quart version of this: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/artisanal-kitchen-supply-6-qt-enameled-cast-iron-dutch-oven/5366059?wmSkipPwa=1.

$19.99 and then you deduct the ubiquitous coupons that show up three times a week and you can get it for $15.99. I bought it and it looks solid and reasonably well-made. Just right for the specialty side dish or small bread bake.

2 Likes

Costco has a 2 pack (4 quart and 7 quart) for $45. The sale ends today, 4/18, then its back to $70 fir the set

https://www.costco.com/tramontina-enameled-cast-iron-dutch-oven%2c-2-pack.product.100690152.html

I saw those. Also a good deal but I have a big one.

We have two different LeCreuset dutch ovens - one round, the other oval. They’re great, but I’ve been told that Lodge makes one for around $45 that is a very good value.

This is one of those weird categories for me. I could be convinced that my thought process is wrong. However, for me, I don’t see buying a full priced Dutch Oven at Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table or that kind of place. Stores by me like Home Goods consistently have Le Creuset, Staub, Cuisinart and other enameled products in multiple shapes and sizes for a fraction of the cost. They might not have the exact color or size/shape at the exact moment that I want it, but that’s rarely an issue for me.

Same thought process on non-stick omelet pans.

Agree, but for the sake of full clarity the items sold at TJMaxx/Home Goods are normally open box ones with some slight damages.

Fair point. Clarity appreciated. I should have mentioned it in my original post.

I’ve seen some with a sticker that says something to the effect of slight defect. But others are not defective. The key to me is that any of the defects I’ve seen have been cosmetic and minor and have no effect on the actual cooking process.

I love all the Le Creuset I own and I own 35 different pieces so I am biased.
When asked this question from friends and acquaintances I always offer the same answer. Buy Le Creuset, buy it once and give it to you heirs.
My buddy next door went the Martha Stewart route. Within a few months his Dutch oven was peeling on the side. He returned to Macy’s and went Le Creuset, smartly.

I’ve never bought a Dutch Oven, I’m able to make them myself .

alright Bruce I’m going to request a link to see this.

1 Like

I hear you, brother. I have a lot of friends like you (as was my mom), but I’m a Staub guy. Better for and finish (particularly the lids) in my opinion. But that’s me (and I only have 5 pieces).

As long as you don’t have Smell-O-Vision.

^^ Ha!

Cabbage and beans help

I have the Kirklands version and it Dutches just fine. never had a complaint with it and I work it fairly hard. have had it for at least 8 years now

We have half a dozen. The ones with the black handles can only take 450 degrees, however you can buy the metal ones for twenty bucks each. If you make bread in a Dutch oven, at least the loaves make, you need the metal ones.

Creuset is having a pretty serious sale
https://www.lecreuset.com/factory-to-table-sale?trk_msg=Q3HQLM3P29HKH5V0ABHFJC88FS&trk_contact=1Q4VBG1LLGKR3RTVLIQKKHDAJ8&trk_sid=SG82VPBKMBLSUTOCOSHGUS61BG&trk_link=T76PP6Q99QB4J3KQB0PC945DNK&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.lecreuset.com%2ffactory-to-table-sale&utm_campaign=UniqueShapes082421

Agreed. Plus, pots and pans are meant to be used. As such, they’re going to get beat-up and worn, and that “slight defect” that caused it to land on the discount rack will soon be rendered completely devoid of relevance, to the extent it had any to begin with.

1 Like

I now own 5 Le Creuset.
Love every piece!
Just made a brisket. Our 5.5 quart Dutch oven was too small so we cut the brisket in 2 and used our second Dutch which is 6 quarts.
Getting ready to purchase a really large Dutch oven.
We were thinking 12 quarts since that is the size of our kirkland pan.
That said Le Creuset has a 9.5 quart. The next largest is 15.5 quart which seems really large.
Getting ready to buy the 15.5 quart. Anyone own one?