Tinned Sardines - Conservas de Cambados

I was recently given this tin of sardines, and I’m not sure if they are any good. Perhaps someone here can help. I have unhappy memories of tinned sardines and pilchards at high tea as a kid in England (too many) decades ago.
If they are good, suggested uses would be great. For context I do love fresh sardines on the grill.
C2A155AF-BA01-4AB6-AB6B-707D0E341FBB.jpeg

I don’t know that particular brand, but we have loved Nola’s tinned sardines. Good on their own, or with some good crusty french bread (so you can sop up the sardine-infused olive oil). I find that I like them so much that I shy away from having them as an ingredient in something else – whether salad, pasta, etc. But I am curious if others have preferred uses for these that I am missing!

On crusty bread is usually the way I eat them as well. Or I essentially use them to make a sandwich.

Branch out dude.
Use Ritz crackers champagne.gif

1 Like

That brand is very good and comes from Galicia. Haven’t tried those particular sardines, but have had both cockles & razor clams from them. Seem to be well represented in the GTA over the past year. I prefer these as others say, with bread or crackers as part of a tinned fish/ charcuterie board, either pre-dinner (back when people got together for dinner parties) or as a tapas style lunch.
Not that you have reference, but they may improve over a few years as well.
For reference, these are about $9 or $10 a tin vs the $3-4 you’d pay for bigger brand tinned sardines.

1 Like

Pro tip from the Avant Comptoir wine bars in Paris: Drain the oil and serve warm with melted butter (they use Bordier), julienne lemon peel, and piment d’espelette for a bit of kick. Serve with crusty bread. Accompany with Champagne or Pet Nat.

Sardines.jpg

3 Likes

Damn, I already have dinner planned.LOL. Nice pic.

Thanks everyone, I’m getting the impression they’d be wasted in a pasta dish?

Very good sardines. Way smaller than the Comptoir pics above which I’ve also had. Do not mix them with pasta! Just eat them alone or with crackers. They will certainly overpower any pasta dish I would want to eat. I haven’t done that but just my opinion.

I think I will try this before I venture into Ritz crackers… :slight_smile:

(Sorry wrong msg to reply but I can’t delete)

Manzanilla?

Wow. The oil shouldn’t be wasted, but I will definitely try that. My god, is there anything that butter can’t improve?

Manzanilla is a great idea.

How d’you get them to stay there?

champagne.gif

Growing up, my mom made the Chef Boy R Dee pizzas.
She would put sardines on the pizzas and they were absolutely delicious and we asked for them all the time.
It was a regular Friday Lent staple.

Something about all the bright flavors of the tomato sauce, parmesan/romano and Sardines hit all the right buttons.

We never put mozzarella on pizzas back then.

573D3604-9CC0-499F-B0D8-00F8C4DF85A8.jpeg
So good!

[barf.gif]

hahaha! telling you man, it was one of the best pies I have had full stop.

1 Like

Yves Camdeborde’s (chef/owner of Le Comptoir du Relais and the Avant Comptoir wine bars) easy and delicious sardine ‘rillettes’ recipe:

1 can of 115 g sardine (87 g drained weight)
About 90 g of cottage cheese
A pinch of turmeric
The juice of half a lemon
Salt pepper

Drain the sardines, pour them in a blender. Add the cottage cheese, turmeric, lemon juice, salt, pepper, (I also add a few shakes of piment d’espelette) and mix. Serve chilled on bread or endive leaves.