Ramp Season - We stumbled into Ramp paradise.

99328CA2-44AC-4C78-A533-C33FDA8282E3.jpeg
I’m lucky to catch fresh ramps one time a year here. We were just talking about it yesterday that I need to be on the lookout, so I don’t miss the grocery/farmer market drop this year.

Taking Jezmund for a walk today and saw a familiar floppy leaf. Dug it up and why yes it’s a nice little ramp family. I start searching a bit and over the hill…

I think I’m in the ramp business now [rofl.gif]

There must be a tool to harvest them? I’ll be heading back tonight…
F9F89C2B-7770-4292-A4AB-DECE3657394E.jpeg

4 Likes

Nice!

Guy like that should be finding you truffles. Just sayin’.

08EA170D-9777-449C-B623-C81E58B4B397.jpeg
Newfoundland’s work on their own timeline. Truffle/ramp sniffing dogs they are not…I tried she was not interested.

The neighborhood is getting ramps tomorrow

I’m also planting a half dozen around the yard to see if we can start a colony here.

1 Like

That’s awesome!

Very cool!

It’s time! Foraged a few but too not many as I think it’s probably a week or two early here.
E720DBEA-55D7-4AA7-BE49-B027D730F7DA.jpeg
What is everybody making with this year’s harvest.

1 Like

I mentioned that I planted some last year and in fact they all came back! Look close [rofl.gif]
602EFD90-2582-4B11-B4FF-28F8AF172772.jpeg
My question is how do I get these to spread all over?

1 Like

Beautiful haul! That looks like the mother lode there…

I grew up in WI and miss being able to forage for them like crazy… have managed to cultivate some in a little plot here (in CA,) but they grow much smaller and aren’t as plentiful.

Ramps and eggs with some foraged mushrooms (found some great king boletes yesterday) are the best.

Nice creek you are on too!

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s the Chagrin, it varies from creek like to raging river as you no doubt know.

There are a ton off the trail behind our house where we walk the dog.

IMG_6334.jpeg
IMG_6325.jpeg

Abbie, lucky you! So far made sausage ramp risotto and bacon ramp frittata this year. Thinking of pickling some. I had a friend’s yesterday that was delicious.

1 Like

I was going to make some compound butter and pesto.
I like the idea of pickling them, too. Next batch…

1 Like

Enough ramp butter for awhile…
IMG_6343.jpeg

1 Like

I planted some years ago, they have been spreading steadily ever since. If they seed they will suddenly pop up all over the place.

For harvesting an asparagus knife may help

Gold Mine! I’ve always been suspect in my ability of mushroom hunting but it’s so fun to find Ramps. (I think you must be right up creek from me [cheers.gif])

2 Likes

Everything green here is a ramp. Largest field I’ve ever seen…

1 Like

They grow quite well in a very small section of a park near me here in London, but alas I’ve never been able to get any. Generally whoever discovers them first cleans them all out, it seems.