By mistake - I might have stumbled upon the best sandwich.

You’ve had those days. You’re peckish, but don’t really have ‘anything’ at home, so you raid the fridges and cupboards with the inevitable disappointing results. Not today. Today it happened - nirvana was achieved:

That old sad Brie leftover from a cheese and wine night.
A forgotten jar of Blackened Red Bell Peppers at the very depth of fridge (half moldy).
An even sadder Caramelized Onion Jam jar from last year.
Stale Italian loaf.

Toasted the loaf and put it all together with some butter and it was like music in my mouth! Every piece elevated each other and made an amazing combination of flavors. Now, if I could just find some bone-dry Riesling to go with it! [wink.gif]

1 Like

No food is ever wasted in my household, either. Make each problem a solution.

Hot soups and sandwiches salvage everything.

1 Like

Same here a few days ago. We had a Newsom’s country ham for Thanksgiving, and when we finally got tired of (very delicious) country ham three weeks later, I carefully wrapped and froze the last quarter or so. We thawed it a few weeks ago, and finally got tired of ham again. But a couple of days ago my wife hands me a croissant with thin slices just out of the oven, and I don’t remember a better sandwich, completely satisfying and complex and decadent, even for something so simple.

1 Like

I just wish there was some way know how sweet or dry a Riesling is just by looking at the label.

1 Like