Stocking a vacation home - minimum requirements

Looking to equip a vacation home in a college town. At a minimum, what would you think is needed to stock the kitchen? We’ve hired a decorator, so need to give them a list of what they need to include as they are handling since we are out of town. Max for dinner at anytime would likely be 8-10, could be larger parties for cocktails.

I keep adding more and more to the list but hubby doesn’t think it’s all needed, but he said he would respect a list coming from the “wine guys”. TIA

I’m thinking if you post your list we could think of things missing that maybe are “essential” to us.

Your list will need to take into account how close you are to half way decent markets. Being in a college town you should be able to pick up most basics beyond what you would find at the local convenience store. Our family had a cabin in a small town the Sierra Nevada and stocking the pantry was always a consideration as you couldn’t just run down to the one store in town to pickup the olive oil, spices, ect. that you forgot to bring without driving over an hour

Lori - Can you clarify if you mean pantry, tools and flatware etc., appliances or all of those?

We have done this. Here was our list

Good knives unless you will bring them for every visit
Several cutting boards
The same cookware/bakeware as your main kitchen
Good corkscrew, Durand, stems, decanters
Grill tools
More utensils than you expect to need
Ice bucket, cocktail shaker, and other bar supplies
Spice grinder, mortar and pestle
Cooking twine, cheesecloth, foils and wraps
Mixer, blender, immersion blender
I use a vacuum saver a lot so we added one in the other place
We did an Ecobee thermostat so we can control via app

1 Like

Since you ask about “at minimum” - assuming you mean minimum for people who actually cook:

Knives, including one serrated
Cutting boards
Pots and pans, including one large pot (big enough for pasta) and one non-stick skillet
A Pyrex dish or two or a roasting pan (optional but really nice to have)
Tableware & flatware
A couple of plates and bowls suitable for serving
Mugs
Glasses (water and wine minimum)
Rubber spatula x 2
Wooden spoons
Large serving-style spoon and fork
Grill tools
Colander
Vegetable peeler
Coffee Maker/grinder
Salad bowl
Measuring spoons/cups (optional)
Microplaner (optional)
Pitcher
Pepper/Salt grinder
Ice cube trays
Plastic wrap, foil, ziploc bags, paper towels
Cleaning supplies
Dish drainer
Placemats
Dishtowels

That’s what I can think of right now. Then there are things that are more specific to your needs - for instance, we need fish tweezers and skewers, most people wont. But almost everyone will need knives, a spatula and peeler.

1 Like

Good lists above

I’ll add:

Can Opener
Bottle Opener
Corkscrew in the unlikely event that you don’t travel with one :slight_smile:

Are you looking for basic supplies as well?
Just in case:

Wax Paper
Parchment Paper
Aluminum Foil
Paper Towels
Matches (in case the stove doesn’t start)

1 Like

I’d miss my lemon/lime juicer and bench scraper but I suppose they’re not true necessities.

1 Like

A lot of good recommendations so far. To add to those:

Honing rod+sharpening stones or sharpening tools of choice
Cork extractor
Vegetable peeler
Small dedicated ice maker (not essential, but useful if one is entertaining larger crowds often and there’s space for it)
Kitchen scale
Mixing bowls
Whisks
Kitchen shears
Sheet pans + cooling racks
Oven mitts
Trivets
Food storage containers
Kitchen towels
Apron

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone! This helps we continue to the list he told me was already too long!
I did add an espresso machine and convinced him a must have was an instant hot water dispenser :slight_smile:

E1DE4744-A1FC-4209-9770-EF13D8762B9F.jpeg
Knives! Lots of large dull knives!!!

This was our selection at a Airbnb recently….

Seriously, not sure if this will be a rental property for you or not but your post reminded me of this place!

No, not a rental :slight_smile:, but I decided to buy new knives for our primary residence and take my “old” set of Zwilling Pro “S” knives to the vacation home.

Instant Pot

I was VERY skeptical but find it to be a useful tool, especially on vacation.

1 Like

If renting a property that I’m driving to, I always bring my knife roll.

Ditto

Scott Conant recently linked to a basic list on surlatable if anyone is interested. I think everything was already covered in the lists above.
AC4C0555-0D96-424E-9D09-B78132F5A401.jpeg