BERLIN CURRYWURST

Here comes an icon from Berlin, Currywurst. It’s street food and served with Pommes or what you call chips. It’s also the favorite food in German canteens every year via polls. Over 800 million Currywursts are consumed each year in Germany.

"Currywurst has been a German institution since its invention in Berlin in 1949 by Herta Heuwer. She lived in the British military sector of Berlin after World War II where some soldiers had given her some ketchup, curry powder and Worcestershire sauce that they brought with them from the UK. She went to work experimenting on a sauce that would provide much needed contrast to the limited post-war rations the people were accustomed to living on, a flavorful spicy sauce poured over Bratwursts hot off the grill that she would patent two years later. She set up a street stand where construction workers were hard at work rebuilding the war-torn city and in no time the popularity of the currywurst skyrocketed. At its peak she was selling nearly 1500 currywursts per day, or 10,000 per week! Herta passed away in 1999 at the age of 86 and in 2003 a plaque was dedicated in her honor at the site of her original kiosk on the corner of Kant and Kaiser Friedrich Streets. So thank you Herta Heuwer, thank you to the British soldiers who gave her those first key ingredients.“

I used a new ketchup brand which taste delicious, Curtice Brothers. I used the chili version, but there exist also a Curry Ketchup version which is maybe even better.

Ingredients

4 pre-cooked pork sausages / Bratwurst or Bockwurst ( 2 each person)

Curry powder

Ketchup

chips

Preparation

1. Cook the sausages in a pan

2. Chopp the sausages in pieces

3. Add ketchup

4. Finally sprinkle curry powder on top and serve with deep-fried chips

1 Like

Love currywurst!!

+infinity [cheers.gif]

A few years back, Kroger did a Kroger-brand Curry Ketchup. It was delicious, but apparently short-lived, as I only ever saw it once.

My local German Butcher sells this, great for a change.

1 Like

Unfortunately this isn’t allowed in Chicago

1 Like

Well-known brand in Germany. Famous in my childhood during the 70s. More sirupy or liquid than ketchup.

I have to buy it and look how it taste now. Sweet childhood memories.

Here in NY (and also in Los Angeles) we have this currywurst vendor: https://www.eatcurrywurst.com/

Not bad!

1 Like