Hamachi collars

Any thoughts on the best way to cook?

Usually in restaurants its just grilled/broiled and served with ponzu. So that’s what I did the one time I bought, but no claims to being best way (but I enjoyed)

1 Like

My go to for probably 2 decades is to salt lightly and put in a super hot oven (around 450-500)) until crispy. Serve with Ponzu like Dale said above, maybe some chopped scallions. No need to complicate anything. There’s also enough oil in the collars, it’s difficult to screw up.
Same go-to recipe for salmon bellies and collars. I actually made bellies last night this way.

1 Like

Yep. There is no “best way,” there is just THE way. :wink:

1 Like

I order these ALL the time, never cooked one myself.

Where are you all sourcing hamachi collars? Google isn’t helping me much and neither was my local seafood shop.

Thanks in advance.

TW

Pre-covid I got mine at The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market. No idea if they ship.

I have local sources that don’t ship, but I know Browne Trading has them pretty regularly frozen. They freeze really well. Browne is expensive, but very high quality. You can also try Asian markets.

Google search “hamachi kama online” and you might find some, but they seem to be really expensive. Black cod, wild salmon, wild yellowtail are also good but the Japanese farm raised yellowtail is what you want.

I just bought 22 lbs of frozen hamachi kama. :slight_smile:

So great to have these in the freezer.

1 Like

Traditionally, in Japan, salted and grilled over charcoal and served with grated daikon and soy sauce. But they are so good, you could serve them almost any way. Ponzu definitely works.

By the way, yellowtail is the same as hamachi, and hamachi is just a younger version of buri. Normally what you get when you buy collars is burikama, as these a bigger and fattier.

Some fun last night with hamachi kama:

H-Mart carries these. I find their Hamachi sashimi to be damn delicious, too.

My only alternative to hamachi collars is salmon bellies. It’s the bacon of the sea.

If ever in Vegas, Sushi Samba has a killer Hamachi collar.